Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2
MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Manchester Monarchs won an overtime thriller over the Adirondack Thunder, 3-2, Friday night at SNHU Arena.
The Monarchs (32-16-3-1) scored just :13 second into overtime on the power play, to defeat the Thunder (29-20-3-3).
The Thunder opened the scoring at 3:06 of the first period when Desmond Bergin netted his 11th goal of the season. From the outside right hash marks, Terrence Wallin fed the puck to Bergin at the right point, where he let a slap shot rip past the glove of Monarchs goaltender, Charles Williams, to make it a 1-0 game.
Colton Saucerman tied the game at 8:12 of the second period, scoring his 4th goal of the season. At the top of the left circle, Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman sent a pass that found Saucerman inside the right-wing circle, where he took a slapshot, beating the blocker of Thunder goaltender, Drew Fielding, to tie the game, 1-1.
The Monarchs took the lead at 5:10 of the third period with a goal from Matt Schmalz, to make it, 2-1. LaVallee-Smotherman carried the puck behind the Thunder net and sent a pass to Schmalz along the left goal line for a one-timer past the stick of Fielding, for his 16th goal of the season.
The Thunder tied the game, 2-2, when Brian Ward scored his 22nd goal of the season while on the power play at 8:13 of the third period. After receiving a drop pass from Shane Conacher on the right side, Wallin hit Ward with a pass on the left face-off dot, where he shot a wrister over the stick of Williams for his 22nd tally of the season.
The game could not be settled in regulation and headed to overtime, when Zac Lynch scored his 22nd goal of the season, just :13 seconds into the extra frame. Matt Leitner skated along the left boards and sent a pass into the slot, that Lynch tipped past the glove of Fielding, to give the Monarchs a 3-2 victory.
The Monarchs return to action Saturday, Feb. 24 (6 p.m.) to take on the Worcester Railers at SNHU Arena.
Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman now has 60 points on the season after a two-point game.
Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman now has 245 professional points.
Eric Schurhamer recorded his 15th professional assist.
Joel Lowry played in his 115th professional game.
Images from this story
Zac Lynch of the Manchester Monarchs
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.