Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa
TULSA, OK. - Eagles forward Ryan Olsen scored the game-winner in a shootout, as Colorado won its third-consecutive contest with a 2-1 victory over the Tulsa Oilers on Friday. Eagles forward Drayson Bowman scored the Eagles lone goal in regulation, while goaltender Joe Cannata was stellar in net, stopping 29 of the 30 shots he faced, denying three of four Tulsa skaters in the shootout for his 18th win of the season. The victory was Colorado's third straight and now gives the Eagles points in each of their last four contests.
A turnover by the Eagles in their own zone would lead to an early 2-on-1 chance for the Oilers and forward Bobby Watson would turn that opportunity into a goal with a shot from the low slot that would put Tulsa on top of Colorado 1-0 only 4:50 into the contest.
Moving into the second period, Colorado would earn its first power play of the night and Bowman would take advantage when he grabbed his own rebound in the slot and snapped the puck past Tulsa goalie Devin Williams to tie the game at 1-1 at the 7:20 mark of the middle frame.
With the game still deadlocked at 1-1 to begin the third period of action, both teams would generate several quality chances, but Cannata and Williams would not be beat. That would set up a sudden-death overtime that would see the Oilers outshoot Colorado 4-3, but would still fail to generate a game-winner.
In the shootout, Colorado netted goals from Olsen and fellow forward Michael Joly, while Cannata stopped three of the four shooters to claim the win in net.
The Eagles finished the night going 1-for-2 on the power play and were a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles conclude their seven-game road trip when they take on the Tulsa Oilers at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Saturday, February 24th at 6:05pm MT.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced
- Eagles Defeat San Jose 3-2, Punch Ticket to Playoffs
- Barracuda Score Three Unanswered to Top Eagles, 3-1
- Forward Travis Barron Reassigned to ECHL's Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Earn Big Points in 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves