IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals
The Icemen were out for revenge following a disappointing overtime loss to the Admirals on Monday. They got just that with a 5-3 win over Norfolk at home in front of 7,586 fans at Veterans Memorial Arena.
The first period was action packed as both teams combined to score five goals. It all started when Tim Daly skated into the offensive zone and fired a wrist shot from the slot past Ty Reichenbach at 8:22 into the frame. The goal was Daly's first as a member of the Icemen and came against his former team. Shortly after, newcomer Cody Fowlie fired a shot from the point that found Tanner Eberle's stick for the deflection goal. Only 14 seconds later, Bobby MacIntyre forced a steal and then scored, capping off a thrilling 1:37 that featured three goals.
However, Norfolk's excellent road power play would show up late in the first period. TJ Melancon fired a wrist shot above the left circle to score on the man advantage and get the Admirals on the board. Minutes later, Darik Angeli brought the puck from the blue line to the crease before Max Cook made a quick deke and beat Austin Lotz. The Icemen led the Admirals, 3-2, after the first period.
The goalies were the story of the second period, as each made key stops to keep the score 3-2. As an Icemen penalty expired, Chad Thibodeau, in his first professional game, picked up the puck in the neutral zone and skated in all alone on a breakaway. Ty Reichenbach made the initial stop and then Thibodeau's rebound attempt hit the post and was immediately covered for the whistle.
In the third period, Tim Daly struck for the second time in the 2017-18 season, presented by Community First Credit Union. As the puck rolled along the boards off a faceoff, Daly sent a slapshot from the point past Reichenbach for the fourth Icemen goal, the eventual game-winner. Not long after, MacIntyre tallied his second of the game as he wrapped the puck around the left post to give the Icemen a nice three-goal cushion. The Admirals would collect one late as Grant Besse continued his phenomenal rookie season, but the Icemen skated away victorious.
With the win, Jacksonville moves into sixth place in the South Division, just seven points out of a playoff berth. Tomorrow, the Icemen travel to South Florida to take on the Florida Everblades at 7:00 p.m. On Sunday, the Icemen return home to take on North Division opponent, Brampton Beast, at 3:00 p.m. Click here to get your tickets!
Images from this story
Jacksonville IceMen Celebration
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville IceMen Stories
- Guns N' Hoses Saturday, December 14
- Carolina Reassigns Standout Goaltender Jeremy Helvig to IceMen
- Gameday Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, October 12, 2019
- IceMen Receive Pair of Defensemen from AHL Manitoba
- IceMen Add NHL & AHL Experience with Veteran John Albert