Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime
Manchester, NH - The Adirondack Thunder came from behind once again to earn a crucial point on the road but fell 3-2 in overtime to the Manchester Monarchs on Friday evening.
Defenseman Desmond Bergin and forward Brian Ward found the back of the net for Adirondack, with Ward's goal extending his point streak to eight games. Goaltender Drew Fielding stopped 22 of the 25 shots he faced in defeat.
Adirondack skated out to an early lead courtesy of Bergin's 11th goal of the season 3:06 into the game. With the Thunder stationed in the offensive end, forward Terrence Wallin won a battle along the right-hand boards and fed Bergin at the right point, where he walked in and wired a slap shot past Manchester netminder Charles Williams. Wallin and center Brian Ward collected the assists on the play as Ward extended his scoring streak to eight games.
The Monarchs returned fire in the second period to knot the score at one 8:12 into the middle stanza. After Manchester won a faceoff in the offensive zone, defenseman Eric Schurhamer fed a cross-ice feed to partner Colton Saucerman, who fired past Fielding from the right-hand circle for his fourth goal of the season. Schurhamer and forward Jordan LaVallee-Smotherman collected the assists on the play, Schurhamer's 13th of the season.
Manchester took its first lead of the game 5:10 into the third period as forward Matt Schmaltz collected his 16th goal of the season. LaVallee-Smotherman controlled possession of the puck behind Fielding's net and, after he shook free of the Adirondack defense, fed the puck to Schmaltz in front who buried for the go-ahead goal. LaVallee-Smotherman and forward Matt Marcinew collected the assists on the play, LaVallee-Smotherman's second helper of the evening.
The Thunder came back to knot the score at two as Ward converted with a power-play goal, his 22nd of the season. With Adirondack on the man advantage, Wallin fired a pinpoint cross-ice feed to Ward in the left-hand circle, where he snapped his shot past the blocker of Williams for the tying goal. Wallin and forward Shane Conacher collected the assists on the play, Conacher's team-leading 31st helper of the season.
After the two teams were unable to break the deadlock in regulation, Manchester found the game-winning goal 13 seconds into overtime. With the hosts on the power play after an Adirondack penalty late in regulation, Matt Leitner fed Zac Lynch for a tap-in goal off of an odd man rush to give the Monarchs the extra point. Leitner and defenseman David Kolomatis collected the assists on the play, Leitner's 26th of the season.
The Thunder are back in action this weekend with a pair of home games tomorrow and Sunday. Puck drops at 7:00 p.m. tomorrow evening at Cool Insuring Arena as Adirondack battles Reading. Arena. Visit ECHLThunder.com or call 518-480-3355 x5 to get tickets for this weekend or any remaining regular season home game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 23, 2018
- Solar Bears Shine in 3-1 Win over Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Top Everblades 3-1 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Climb Closer to Playoff Spot; Defeat Quad City 4-2 - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Earn a Point in Shootout Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Fly by Swamp Rabbits in First of Two Games - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Snap Skid with Comeback Win over Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Win Third Straight with 2-1 Shootout Victory over Tulsa - Colorado Eagles
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- IceMen Explode for Five Goals against Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Early Flurry Helps IceMen Hold off Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Jakaitis Ties ECHL Record with 25th Career Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Fall to Fuel - Quad City Mallards
- King Stands Tall in Beast Debut as Brampton Falls 1-0 to South Carolina - Brampton Beast
- Gladiators Drop First of Back-To-Back Games in Toledo 3-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Come Back to Earn Point But Fall 3-2 in Overtime - Adirondack Thunder
- Mercier Returns to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 23 - ECHL
- Steelheads Agree to Terms with Michael Neville - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads: Game Day Storylines at Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Annual Promotion Aims to Raise Awareness of Various Cancer Initiatives - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Travel to Fort Wayne to Start Road Trip - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Bolster Roster with Additions of Tyler Ganly and Guillaume Naud - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Acquire Stephen Collins from Nailers - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gameday - Adirondack (29-20-2-3) at Manchester (32-16-3-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Nagy Heads to AHL - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- IceMen Return Home to Face Admirals - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Day: Admirals Make Final Trip to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 23 - Manchester Monarchs
- Gameday Report: Mavericks vs. Americans - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Heads West to Face Grizzlies - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Outlasts Mallards 8-7 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.