Iacopelli Scores Twice Late in K-Wings Overtime Win
TULSA, OK - Two breakaway goals from Matheson Iacopelli six minutes and 37 seconds apart tied the game and won it for the Kalamazoo Wings (14-20-4-1), just 40 seconds into overtime 4-3 over the Tulsa Oilers (19-21-4-1) Saturday at the BOK Center.
Iacopelli completed Kalamazoo's late comeback with an end-to-end breakaway on the first shift of overtime when he lifted a backhander over the shoulder of Evan Fitzpatrick, after forcing the extra session with an earlier breakaway goal to tie the game at 3-3 with 5:57 left in regulation.
Kalamazoo led twice earlier in the game, after Eric Kattelus buried a one-timer for a first period power play started the scoring, and Garret Ross broke a 1-1 tie with a nifty move from his forehand to backhand after catching a pass on a 2-on-1 rush early in the middle frame.
Each time, Tulsa had an answer. The Oilers evened the score before the first break when Steven Ruggiero trailed a rush and caught a pass high in the slot, before ripping a shot past Jake Hildebrand. Tulsa pulled even again when Charlie Sampair snuck behind the K-Wings defense for a second period breakaway goal.
The Oilers led briefly, when Cory Ward scored early in the third period after he forced a turnover in the Kalamazoo zone and snapped a shot under the cross bar. Following a successful penalty kill, the sixth straight kill for the K-Wings to start the road trip, Iacopelli's breakaway goal forced overtime.
Hildebrand stopped 28 of 31 shots in the win, while Fitzpatrick made 27 saves in the overtime loss. Iacopelli now leads Kalamazoo with four game-winning goals this season, including two in overtime.
Kalamazoo continues on its season-long six-game road trip Tuesday when the K-Wings face-off against the Kansas City Mavericks at 8:05 p.m. ET at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Catch all the action on 1660 AM in Kalamazoo or ECHL TV online, with pregame coverage starting at 7:45 p.m. ET.
Kalamazoo Wings 3-Packs are now available online! Reserve your tickets for the three biggest games in the best seats with the best eats. Visit kwings.com for more information about all the perks that come with a K-Wings 3-Pack!
The Kalamazoo Wings are a professional hockey team located in southwest Michigan that has been a staple in the Kalamazoo, MI professional sports landscape since 1974. The K-Wings compete in the ECHL and are the AA affiliate of the National Hockey League's Vancouver Canucks. Kalamazoo plays their 36 regular season home games at Wings Event Center from October through April.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2020
- Offense Explodes for Five in the Third Period - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Extend Season-High Point Streak, Fall in Overtime to Kalamazoo - Tulsa Oilers
- Allen Defeats Utah 6-3 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Iacopelli Scores Twice Late in K-Wings Overtime Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Snap Skid with Shootout Win over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Happy Cam-Pers: Johnson Leads 'Blades to Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Maintain Perfect Record against Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Milner Silences Norfolk for 7th Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Beast Stymied in Loss to Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Royals Split Weekend Series with Newfoundland, Fall, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Drop Weekend Finale in Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Power Past Cyclones, 4-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Late Goal Stings Mariners in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- A Late Score from Ross Olsson Propels Worcester to a 2-1 Victory over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Bludgeons Brampton in Saturday Night Bout, 7-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Bounce Back in Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Indy Dominates Atlanta in Final Game of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Atlanta Falls to Indy Fuel to Conclude Brief North Division Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Windsor, Solar Bears Freeze out Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Take on IceMen, Aim for Fifth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 25 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Shut out in Sunshine State - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Adam Rockwood Recalled by Springfield - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Seek Second Win of Weekend vs. Growlers - Reading Royals
- Killins Wins It on Strong Power Play in OT for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Win Shootout Thriller in Front of 11,651 on Pink in the Rink Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Overtime Game Winner Overturned, Allen Loses in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 5-4 in Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.