Nailers Power Past Cyclones, 4-1
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers rebounded from a difficult defeat and exacted revenge on the Cincinnati Cyclones at WesBanco Arena on Saturday night. Wheeling struck three times on the power play, including Michael Kim's first professional goal, Brandon Hawkins dished out three assists, and Alex D'Orio made 28 saves in a 4-1 triumph.
Both teams struck on the man advantage in the opening stanza. The Nailers were first on the board at the 5:16 mark, thanks to a rush that started from their own zone. Brandon Hawkins led Christopher Brown down the right side of the ice, and he proceeded to bury a shot from the circle. Alex D'Orio also notched an assist on the marker, giving him two on the season. Cincinnati answered with 5:54 remaining, when Kurt Gosselin skated to the high slot, where he roofed a wrist shot into the top-right corner of the net.
The tilt stayed tied until the closing minute of the second period, when Wheeling cashed in on another power play. Hawkins fired a pass ahead to Graham Knott, who caught the feed in stride, broke between the two defenders, and zipped a shot into the left side of the cage.
The Nailers added two key insurance goals in the third period. Michael Kim converted on a one-timer from the middle of the blueline for his first professional goal, then Alec Butcher tossed in an empty netter from center ice to put the finishing touches on the 4-1 victory.
Alex D'Orio earned the win in goal for Wheeling, denying 28 of the 29 shots he faced, in addition to his first period assist. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen took the loss for the Cyclones, making 22 saves on 25 shots.
The Nailers will continue their six-game homestand on Wednesday night, when they face the Norfolk Admirals at 7:05. The first 2,000 fans will receive a free koozie. Then, Wheeling will host the Orlando Solar Bears on Friday and Saturday, with Friday being a Frosty Friday, followed by Country Roads Night on Saturday. All tickets for Country Roads Night are $10, the first 2,000 fans will receive a free cowbell, and there will be a Mechanical Bull Riding Contest. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2020
- Offense Explodes for Five in the Third Period - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Extend Season-High Point Streak, Fall in Overtime to Kalamazoo - Tulsa Oilers
- Allen Defeats Utah 6-3 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Iacopelli Scores Twice Late in K-Wings Overtime Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Snap Skid with Shootout Win over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Happy Cam-Pers: Johnson Leads 'Blades to Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Maintain Perfect Record against Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Milner Silences Norfolk for 7th Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Beast Stymied in Loss to Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Royals Split Weekend Series with Newfoundland, Fall, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Drop Weekend Finale in Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Power Past Cyclones, 4-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Late Goal Stings Mariners in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- A Late Score from Ross Olsson Propels Worcester to a 2-1 Victory over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Bludgeons Brampton in Saturday Night Bout, 7-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Bounce Back in Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Indy Dominates Atlanta in Final Game of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Atlanta Falls to Indy Fuel to Conclude Brief North Division Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Windsor, Solar Bears Freeze out Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Take on IceMen, Aim for Fifth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 25 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Shut out in Sunshine State - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Adam Rockwood Recalled by Springfield - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Seek Second Win of Weekend vs. Growlers - Reading Royals
- Killins Wins It on Strong Power Play in OT for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Win Shootout Thriller in Front of 11,651 on Pink in the Rink Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Overtime Game Winner Overturned, Allen Loses in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 5-4 in Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.