Milner Silences Norfolk for 7th Shutout
NORFOLK, Va. - After a win in the ECHL's All-Star Classic earlier in the week, goaltender Parker Milner followed up the performance by stopping all 26 shots he faced on Saturday night. The standout netminder earned his second shutout in his last three games, leading the South Carolina Stingrays (32-6-3-1) to a 3-0 defeat of the Norfolk Admirals (11-27-5-0) at the Norfolk Scope.
Milner now has seven shutouts in just 20 appearances this season, more than doubling the next closest goaltender in the league (3).
Despite Milner's brilliance, Norfolk's Michael McNiven held the Admirals in the game, stopping the first 29 shots that South Carolina put on net before the Rays broke through in the third period.
Three tallies in the final frame gave the Rays a series sweep of Norfolk and wins in six of their first eight contests against the Admirals.
Forward Dylan Steman finally broke the ice at 11:43 of the third to put SC on top 1-0 when he found a loose rebound in the high slot and backhanded it into the Norfolk net. Steman's sixth goal of the year came on the power play with assists from forward Max Novak and defender Kristofers Bindulis.
Less than two minutes later, forward Dan DeSalvo entered the offensive zone on the left wing. He then left a drop pass for linemate Mark Cooper, who used a wrist shot to put the puck to the top-right corner of the net and secure a 2-0 lead for the Rays at 13:04 of the third.
DeSalvo capped off the scoring in the final seconds, wristing a puck the length of the ice and into the empty net for his 14th tally of the season to make it 3-0 at 19:58.
South Carolina netted a power play goal for the second straight game and finished 1-for-7 on the man-advantage while Norfolk ended at 0-for-4. The Stingrays outshot Norfolk 39-26 in the contest, with McNiven turning aside 36 attempts in the loss for the Ads.
The Stingrays are back in action on Wednesday evening in Greenville when they face-off with the Swamp Rabbits at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena at 7:05 p.m.
- Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2020
- Offense Explodes for Five in the Third Period - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Extend Season-High Point Streak, Fall in Overtime to Kalamazoo - Tulsa Oilers
- Allen Defeats Utah 6-3 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Iacopelli Scores Twice Late in K-Wings Overtime Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Snap Skid with Shootout Win over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Happy Cam-Pers: Johnson Leads 'Blades to Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Maintain Perfect Record against Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Milner Silences Norfolk for 7th Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Beast Stymied in Loss to Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Royals Split Weekend Series with Newfoundland, Fall, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Drop Weekend Finale in Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Power Past Cyclones, 4-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Late Goal Stings Mariners in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- A Late Score from Ross Olsson Propels Worcester to a 2-1 Victory over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Bludgeons Brampton in Saturday Night Bout, 7-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Bounce Back in Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Indy Dominates Atlanta in Final Game of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Atlanta Falls to Indy Fuel to Conclude Brief North Division Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Windsor, Solar Bears Freeze out Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Take on IceMen, Aim for Fifth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 25 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Shut out in Sunshine State - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Adam Rockwood Recalled by Springfield - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Seek Second Win of Weekend vs. Growlers - Reading Royals
- Killins Wins It on Strong Power Play in OT for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Win Shootout Thriller in Front of 11,651 on Pink in the Rink Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Overtime Game Winner Overturned, Allen Loses in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 5-4 in Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.