Growlers Bounce Back in Reading
The Growlers bounced back to their winning ways on Saturday night with a 3-1 victory over the Reading Royals.
Brady Ferguson opened the scoring by tipping a point blast between the legs of Royals goaltender Felix SandstrÃ¶m 10:41 into the first period. The Growlers continued to pour on the pressure by adding a powerplay goal by Trey Bradley 6 minutes later. Angus Redmond stopped all 7 Reading attempts in the first period as the Growlers took a 2-0 lead into the second period.
The Reading Royals responded in on the powerplay in the second period as Corey Mackin pinballed the puck through a crowd to beat Growlers goaltender Angus Redmond. Reading pushed to tie the game, putting a total of 15 shots on net in the second, but only one got by Redmond as the teams entered the third with the Growlers up by 1.
Angus Redmond was the story of the third period, stopping a number of high-quality scoring chances as Reading desperately tried to tie the game. Redmond shut the door and Zach O'Brien added an empty-net goal to secure the 3-1 victory for the Growlers.
Angus Redmond recorded 30 saves and is 11-0 on the season
Zach O'Brien registered a goal and an assist
The three stars were 3 - T. Bradley (NFL), 2 - F. Sandstrom (REA) and 1 - A. Redmond (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers take on the Brampton Beast at the CAA Centre tomorrow as the road trip continues. Puck drop is 5:30 p.m. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
Newfoundland Growlers (30-11-0-0) at Reading Royals (24-14-5-0)
Saturday, January 25th - Santander Arena - Reading, Pennsylvania
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
1 - 0 1 1st NFL 10:41 B. Ferguson (16) M. Power, Z. O'Brien V 6 9 10 22 43 H 19 27 36 44 81
2 - 0 2 1st NFL 16:30 T. Bradley (10) C. Conrad, A. Luchuk PP V 14 26 39 H 3 8 12 18
2 - 1 3 2nd REA 8:58 C. Mackin (17) G. Cockerill PP V 6 14 27 43 H 12 19 36 44 81
3 - 1 4 3rd NFL 19:10 Z. O'Brien (13) J. Duszak, G. Estephan EN.PP V 9 10 21 22 29 H 3 12 27 44 81
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2020
- Offense Explodes for Five in the Third Period - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Extend Season-High Point Streak, Fall in Overtime to Kalamazoo - Tulsa Oilers
- Allen Defeats Utah 6-3 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Iacopelli Scores Twice Late in K-Wings Overtime Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Snap Skid with Shootout Win over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Happy Cam-Pers: Johnson Leads 'Blades to Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Maintain Perfect Record against Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Milner Silences Norfolk for 7th Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Beast Stymied in Loss to Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Royals Split Weekend Series with Newfoundland, Fall, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Drop Weekend Finale in Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Power Past Cyclones, 4-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Late Goal Stings Mariners in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- A Late Score from Ross Olsson Propels Worcester to a 2-1 Victory over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Bludgeons Brampton in Saturday Night Bout, 7-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Bounce Back in Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Indy Dominates Atlanta in Final Game of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Atlanta Falls to Indy Fuel to Conclude Brief North Division Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Windsor, Solar Bears Freeze out Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Take on IceMen, Aim for Fifth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 25 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Shut out in Sunshine State - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Adam Rockwood Recalled by Springfield - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Seek Second Win of Weekend vs. Growlers - Reading Royals
- Killins Wins It on Strong Power Play in OT for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Win Shootout Thriller in Front of 11,651 on Pink in the Rink Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Overtime Game Winner Overturned, Allen Loses in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 5-4 in Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.