Offense Explodes for Five in the Third Period
RAPID CITY, SD - Wichita erupted for five goals in the third period en route to a 7-4 win on Saturday night at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. With the win, the Thunder snaps a 10-game winless skid.
Stefan Fournier led the way with three points while six others finished with two points apiece. Dylan Wells grabbed his first win of the year, stopping 26 shots.
Wichita came out with a ton of energy in the early going. Both teams were unsuccessful on their two power play chances. Brennan Saulnier broke the scoreless tie at 17:46 as he caught a pass from behind the net from Darian Romanko and he beat Wells near the crease to make it 1-0.
Garrett Schmitz tied it at 3:29 of the second as he fired home a slap shot from the right point with plenty of traffic near the net. Rapid City answered quickly, scoring at 5:01 to re-take the lead. Saulnier collected his second of the game as he stole the puck from Billy Exell and beat Wells. Salvaggio tied it at 6:46 as he got to a rebound in the crease and netted his 11th of the season. Rapid City scored a power play goal at 18:59 to take the lead back. Saulnier fired a one-timer from the right dot for his hat trick goal to make it 3-2.
In the third, Wichita tied the game at 5:14 as Beau Starrett tipped in a shot from the point from Vincent Desharnais. Ostap Safin gave the Thunder the lead for good at 10:54 as he caught a pass up the right wing, skated down the boards and rifled a shot past Tyler Parks. At 11:30, Nolan Vesey scored the eventual game-winner as he caught a pass through the slot and beat Parks. Fournier scored his first of two in the third at 14:36 to make it 6-3. Rapid City got one back on the power play at 17:02 as Darian Romanko tipped in a shot from the blue line. With the goalie pulled, Fournier stole the puck from Jalen Smereck and scored into an empty net to make it 7-4.
Wichita reached a new season-high with five goals scored in one period. Fournier finished with two goals and an assist. Vesey, Salvaggio, Safin and Schmitz each had a goal and an assist. Desharnais had two helpers.
The two teams face off once against tomorrow afternoon starting at 5:05 p.m. CST.
Individual tickets for the rest of the season are on sale now. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2020
- Offense Explodes for Five in the Third Period - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Extend Season-High Point Streak, Fall in Overtime to Kalamazoo - Tulsa Oilers
- Allen Defeats Utah 6-3 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Iacopelli Scores Twice Late in K-Wings Overtime Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Snap Skid with Shootout Win over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Happy Cam-Pers: Johnson Leads 'Blades to Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Maintain Perfect Record against Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Milner Silences Norfolk for 7th Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Beast Stymied in Loss to Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Royals Split Weekend Series with Newfoundland, Fall, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Drop Weekend Finale in Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Power Past Cyclones, 4-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Late Goal Stings Mariners in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- A Late Score from Ross Olsson Propels Worcester to a 2-1 Victory over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Bludgeons Brampton in Saturday Night Bout, 7-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Bounce Back in Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Indy Dominates Atlanta in Final Game of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Atlanta Falls to Indy Fuel to Conclude Brief North Division Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Windsor, Solar Bears Freeze out Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Take on IceMen, Aim for Fifth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 25 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Shut out in Sunshine State - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Adam Rockwood Recalled by Springfield - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Seek Second Win of Weekend vs. Growlers - Reading Royals
- Killins Wins It on Strong Power Play in OT for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Win Shootout Thriller in Front of 11,651 on Pink in the Rink Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Overtime Game Winner Overturned, Allen Loses in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 5-4 in Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.