Grizz Win 5-4 in Shootout Thriller
West Valley City, Utah - Grizzlies win a 5-4 thriller in a shootout as Mitch Maxwell scored the game winner in the shootout for the second straight game. Mason McDonald stopped all 3 in the shootout in goal for Utah to pick up his 4th straight game. Brandon Saigeon had 2 goals as the Grizzlies have won 4 in a row.
Allen's Alex Breton scored 2 goals and 1 assist. He almost had his third of the game as he scored at the buzzer in overtime with the score tied at 4. After video replay it was determined that the puck crossed the goal line after the clock hit 0:00.
Breton scored first 1:31 into the second period. It was a power play goal for Allen, who went 1 for 3 on the man advantage on the night. Utah's Brandon Saigeon scored his 6th of the season and 1st of 2 on the night 3:55 into the second. Ty Lewis gave Utah a 2-1 lead 13:49 into the second period on a 4 on 4. Allen's Jordan Topping scored his 19th of the year 14:50 into the second. Utah outshot Allen 14 for 6 in the second period and 43 to 26 in the game.
Saigeon gave Utah a 3-2 lead 4:24 into the third period. 12 seconds later Peter Tischke made it 4-2. Allen battled back 1:14 later Josh Brittain scored his 8th of the year. Americans tied the game 12:17 into the third on Breton's 2nd of the game.
In overtime Allen outshot Utah 6 to 5, with the extra session ending on Breton's goal that was disallowed after video replay.
Grizzlies conclude the 5 game homestand on Saturday night at Maverik Center for the rematch with Allen. Face-off is at 7 o clock. Tickets are available at utahgrizzlies.com or by calling (801) 988-8000.
1. Brandon Saigeon (Utah) - 2 goals, +2.
2. Alex Breton (Allen) - 2 goals, 1 assist, +1. 6 shots.
3. Mitch Maxwell (Utah) - Shootout game winner.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies forward Mitch Maxwell reacts after his shootout winner
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2020
- Offense Explodes for Five in the Third Period - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Extend Season-High Point Streak, Fall in Overtime to Kalamazoo - Tulsa Oilers
- Allen Defeats Utah 6-3 on Saturday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Iacopelli Scores Twice Late in K-Wings Overtime Win - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Snap Skid with Shootout Win over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Happy Cam-Pers: Johnson Leads 'Blades to Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Walleye Maintain Perfect Record against Komets - Toledo Walleye
- Steelheads Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Mavericks - Idaho Steelheads
- Milner Silences Norfolk for 7th Shutout - South Carolina Stingrays
- Beast Stymied in Loss to Thunder - Brampton Beast
- Royals Split Weekend Series with Newfoundland, Fall, 3-1 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Drop Weekend Finale in Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Power Past Cyclones, 4-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Late Goal Stings Mariners in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- A Late Score from Ross Olsson Propels Worcester to a 2-1 Victory over Maine - Worcester Railers HC
- Adirondack Bludgeons Brampton in Saturday Night Bout, 7-4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Bounce Back in Reading - Newfoundland Growlers
- Indy Dominates Atlanta in Final Game of the Weekend - Indy Fuel
- Atlanta Falls to Indy Fuel to Conclude Brief North Division Trip - Atlanta Gladiators
- Windsor, Solar Bears Freeze out Swamp Rabbits in 3-0 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Take on IceMen, Aim for Fifth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 25 - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Shut out in Sunshine State - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Notes: vs Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Adam Rockwood Recalled by Springfield - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Seek Second Win of Weekend vs. Growlers - Reading Royals
- Killins Wins It on Strong Power Play in OT for Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Win Shootout Thriller in Front of 11,651 on Pink in the Rink Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Overtime Game Winner Overturned, Allen Loses in a Shootout - Allen Americans
- Grizz Win 5-4 in Shootout Thriller - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.