Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three
Kalamazoo, MI.- Another busy week for the K-Wings continues as they host the Wheeling Nailers on Friday night for the fourth meeting of the season
Kalamazoo (14-14-0-1) vs Wheeling (15-12-0-1)
Listen: 1660 The Fan
Last Time Out:
After the goaltenders combined for 43 saves through the first two periods of play the K-Wings and Komets combined to score three goals in the third on Thursday night as the K-Wings fell just short, falling 2-1 to the Komets. Fort Wayne opened the scoring just under five minutes into the third period. After Jake Kamrass' 13th goal of the season put the Komets up 1-0, Jamie Schaafsma doubled the lead. The Komet captain banked a puck of Jake Hildebrand and into the net giving Fort Wayne the 2-0 lead. Late in the period the K-Wings got a push from Chris Collins and cut into the lead. Tanner Sorenson found Collins in front of the net before the rookie notched his 11th goal of the season, getting the K-Wings on the board. Lukas Hafner stuffed the K-Wing attack the rest of the way as the Komets topped Kalamazoo 2-1. The loss marked the first time since Nov. 23 and 24 that the K-Wings had lost consecutive games.
Kalamazoo and Wheeling face off for the fourth of eight meetings this season. The K-Wings have held the edge through the first three meetings winning each match-up, including two at Wings Event Center. Justin Taylor leads all players through the first three games, posting three goals and three assists for six points. Taylor along with Tyler Biggs and Reid Gardiner have all scored more than once in the season series. Biggs and Gardiner have each scored twice. Cam Brown leads the Nailers with four points, all assists. Winston Day Chief and Renars Krastenbergs have also scored twice in the series for the Nailers. The teams have combined to use five different goaltenders in the series so far. Jake Hildebrand, who has started two games against the Nailers, is 2-0-0 with a 1.48 goals against average and a .955 save percentage against Wheeling this season.
Scouting the Nailers:
The Nailers head into the weekend as one of the hottest teams in the ECHL, having won eight of their last ten games, and taken a point in nine of ten. The current run has pushed the Nailers into third place in the Central Division.
Wheeling will be without leading scorer and reigning ECHL Player of the Week Nick Saracino on Friday night as the forward has been recalled to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Prior to his recall Saracino had totaled 37 points (17g, 20a). Right behind him is former linemate Cam Brown who has notched 33 points (8g, 25a). Defenseman Kevin Spinozzi, who is second on the team in goals, leads all ECHL defensemen in goals (11) and points (28).
Leading the Way:
Chris Collins third period goal on Thursday night pushed the forward into a tied for fifth place among all ECHL rookies in scoring. The Calgary, AB native has notched 28 points (11g, 17a) in his first professional season and also leads the K-Wings. His 11 goals are second on the team trailing only Justin Taylor.
Both Kalamazoo and Wheeling skaters have impressive point streaks on the line on in Friday's game. Reid Gardiner enters the night riding a nine-game point streak, while Wheeling's Cam Brown puts his 11-game streak on the line. Brown's is the longest active streak in the ECHL, while Gardiner's is tied for the third longest with a handful of other skaters. Gardiner has tallied 13 points (5g, 7a) during the current nine-game streak. His career long is ten games, set twice last season.
Upcoming-Game of Thrones:
Saturday night is Game of Thrones night as the K-Wings host the Toledo Walleye while paying homage to the popular TV series. Both Kalamazoo and Toledo will be wearing specialty jerseys during the game. Fans are invited to stick around after the game to bid on their favorite player's jersey. Jerseys will be available for pickup in the K-Wings offices the week of January 7.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2018
- Steelheads Roll Through Rush with 9-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Blanked by IceMen in 5-0 Decision - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Dispatch First-Place Cyclones for Third Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Propels K-Wings Past Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits' Comeback Spoiled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Grab a Point in Physical 3-2 Shootout Road Loss in Portland - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Escape with Late Win, Despite Wheeling Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Point Streak Snapped in Road Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wild Win-Iecki: Everblades Hold off Swamp Rabbits for Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Shutout Bears in 5-0 Rout - Jacksonville IceMen
- McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Klima's Last Minute Strike Pushes Norfolk Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Fly Past Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sting Rays as Norfolk Snaps Winless Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Overwhelm Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Americans and Grizzlies Game Tonight Is Cancelled Due to Travel Issues - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies December 28th Game Rescheduled - Utah Grizzlies
- Josh Anderson Added to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Guillaume Naud Added to Fuel Blue Line - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Make Adjustment to Promotional Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Acquire Rookie Forward from Wichita - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Brad Barone - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, December 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Desmond Bergin to PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Nastasiuk, Sheppard Recalled by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Penguins Recall Kevin Spinozzi - Wheeling Nailers
- OurSports Central's Plays of the Year - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three - Kalamazoo Wings
- LaCouvee Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals End Break, Host 1st-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Tammela Tricks IceMen in 4-3 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quick Start Propels 'Blades to 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Cuddemi, Skinner Pushes Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- K-Wings Tie It Late But Fall 4-3 on Wideman's Power Play Marker
- Game Day: Wings Host Game Four Looking to Even Series
- Power Play Scores for Third Straight Game as K-Wings Fall 4-1
- Game Day: Playoff Hockey Returns to Wings Event Center
- Wings Weekly: Playoff Hockey at Wings Event Center, Anselmini Reassigned