Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa
TULSA, Ok. - The Kansas City Mavericks (16-10-1-1) fell to the Tulsa Oilers (14-11-4-2) on Friday night at the BOK Center in Tulsa.
Tulsa came into Friday night's contest winless in their previous 11 contests and the Mavericks would look to continue that streak. After a hooking penalty to Kansas City's Zach Fischer, the home team got on the board first as Tulsa forward Alex Globke fired a wrister through a screen in front and beat Mavericks netminder Nick Schneider for his first professional goal. The first period was full of back and forth action, but no further scoring would occur.
The Oilers would double their lead just 17 seconds into the second period as Ryan Tesink would net his 12th of the campaign to make it 2-0 Tulsa. The Oilers continued to buzz after that marker and used that momentum to dominate game play during the middle frame. The Mavericks would get on the board as CJ Eick redirected a shot from the point that bested Oilers goalie Devin Williams for his sixth goal of the season. Tulsa would return the favor just over three minutes later when Charlie Sampair regained the two-goal edge for Tulsa to make it 3-1 Oilers. The Mavericks kept fighting and cut their deficit in half with just 1:23 left in the period as Mike Panowyk won a foot race to a loose puck in the neutral zone and beat Williams for his fifth tally of the season.
The Mavericks started off the third period well, setting up several scoring chances but could not find twine again behind Williams as the Oilers goalie made several big stops to hold his team's lead. Tulsa added an insurance marker on the second of the night for Sampair and Oilers captain Adam Pleskach would later add the empty-netter to give Tulsa the 5-2 victory.
Williams stopped 23 of 25 Kansas City shots including several quality chances in the third period for the victory. Schneider played well despite the final score, stopping 34 Tulsa shots in defeat.
The Mavericks travel to Wichita for a matchup with the Thunder on Saturday night, before returning to Kansas City for the traditional New Year's Eve game at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2018
- Steelheads Roll Through Rush with 9-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Blanked by IceMen in 5-0 Decision - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Dispatch First-Place Cyclones for Third Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Propels K-Wings Past Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits' Comeback Spoiled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Grab a Point in Physical 3-2 Shootout Road Loss in Portland - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Escape with Late Win, Despite Wheeling Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Point Streak Snapped in Road Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wild Win-Iecki: Everblades Hold off Swamp Rabbits for Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Shutout Bears in 5-0 Rout - Jacksonville IceMen
- McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Klima's Last Minute Strike Pushes Norfolk Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Fly Past Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sting Rays as Norfolk Snaps Winless Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Overwhelm Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Americans and Grizzlies Game Tonight Is Cancelled Due to Travel Issues - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies December 28th Game Rescheduled - Utah Grizzlies
- Josh Anderson Added to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Guillaume Naud Added to Fuel Blue Line - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Make Adjustment to Promotional Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Acquire Rookie Forward from Wichita - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Brad Barone - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, December 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Desmond Bergin to PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Nastasiuk, Sheppard Recalled by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Penguins Recall Kevin Spinozzi - Wheeling Nailers
- OurSports Central's Plays of the Year - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three - Kalamazoo Wings
- LaCouvee Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals End Break, Host 1st-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Tammela Tricks IceMen in 4-3 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quick Start Propels 'Blades to 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Cuddemi, Skinner Pushes Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.