Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night
TULSA, OK - It had been 29 days since the Tulsa Oilers (14-11-6) tasted victory, but the Oilers finished the home potion of their 2018 schedule with a 5-2 win over the Kansas City Mavericks (16-10-2) on Military Appreciation Night at the BOK Center.
The Oilers scored late in their first power play when newcomer Alex Globke threw a wrist shot through a screen from the right circle to give Tulsa a 1-0 lead. Kansas City was unsuccessful on its only power play of the frame, as the Oilers carried the one-goal advantage into the locker room after 20 minutes.
Ryan Tesink gave the Oilers a 2-0 lead just 17 seconds into the second period when he scored on a breakaway. The Mavericks cut their deficit to one when a shot from the point ricocheted off of two players in front, last hitting former Oiler Joey Sides before entering the net. Tulsa added an insurance goal when Roman Ammirato threw a pass from the corner that Charlie Sampair tapped into the net past Kansas City goaltender Nick Schneider. The Mavericks made it 3-2 before the second period horn when Mike Panowyk snapped a shot from the left circle over the blocker of Devin Williams.
Late in regulation, Sampair buried his second goal of the game on a rebound that sat on the edge of the crease to put the Oilers in front 4-2. Captain Adam Pleskach put the exclamation point on Tulsa's first win since November 30 with an empty net goal in the final minute. Williams stopped 23 of 25 Mavericks shots to earn his seventh win of the season.
The Oilers head to Wichita for a Sunday matinee at 4:05pm against the Thunder at INTRUST Bank Arena, and finish off the 2018 portion of the schedule with a New Year's Eve bash at 6:05pm against the Allen Americans at the Allen Event Center.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2018
- Steelheads Roll Through Rush with 9-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Blanked by IceMen in 5-0 Decision - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Dispatch First-Place Cyclones for Third Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Propels K-Wings Past Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits' Comeback Spoiled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Grab a Point in Physical 3-2 Shootout Road Loss in Portland - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Escape with Late Win, Despite Wheeling Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Point Streak Snapped in Road Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wild Win-Iecki: Everblades Hold off Swamp Rabbits for Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Shutout Bears in 5-0 Rout - Jacksonville Icemen
- McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Klima's Last Minute Strike Pushes Norfolk Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Fly Past Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sting Rays as Norfolk Snaps Winless Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Overwhelm Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Americans and Grizzlies Game Tonight Is Cancelled Due to Travel Issues - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies December 28th Game Rescheduled - Utah Grizzlies
- Josh Anderson Added to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Guillaume Naud Added to Fuel Blue Line - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Make Adjustment to Promotional Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Acquire Rookie Forward from Wichita - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Brad Barone - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, December 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Desmond Bergin to PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Nastasiuk, Sheppard Recalled by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Penguins Recall Kevin Spinozzi - Wheeling Nailers
- OurSports Central's Plays of the Year - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three - Kalamazoo Wings
- LaCouvee Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals End Break, Host 1st-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Tammela Tricks IceMen in 4-3 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quick Start Propels 'Blades to 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Cuddemi, Skinner Pushes Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.