Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder
GLENS FALLS, N.Y. - The Manchester Monarchs dropped their fourth straight game, 4-2, against the Adirondack Thunder, Friday night at the Cool Insuring Arena.
The Monarchs (13-14-1-1), despite scoring two goals in the third period, couldn't catch the Adirondack Thunder (16-9-2-2) and fell, 4-2.
The Thunder opened scoring at 7:35 of the first period when Mike Szmatula scored his 12th goal of the season. Off of a deflection in front of Monarchs goaltender, Chris Driedger, Szmatula snapped a shot over Driedger's glove, making the score to 1-0.
The Thunder scored again at 11:00 of the second period when Kevin Lough scored his first of the season. Lough picked up a pass in the high slot, where he took advantage of a down-and-out Driedger, and wristed a shot over his shoulder, to make the score, 2-0.
The Thunder increased their lead to 3-0 at 1:29 of the third period when Kelly Summers scored his second the season. Summers skated in on a breakaway and pushed the puck through Driedger's five-hole, to increase the lead.
The Monarchs got on the board at 4:49 of the third period when Pavel Jenys scored a power-play goal, his eighth of the season, when he wristed a shot past Adirondack goaltender, Alex Sakellaropolous, bringing the score to 3-1.
The Monarchs pulled within one at 11:52 of the third period when Jenys got his second power-play goal of the night, ninth of the season, rocketing a slap-shot past Sakellaropolous, to make the score, 3-2.
The Thunder added an empty net goal at 19:03 of the third period to make it a 4-2 game, as Conor Riley scored his 13th of the season, to complete the scoring.
The Monarchs return to action Saturday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Adirondack Thunder at Cool Insuring Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2018
- Steelheads Roll Through Rush with 9-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Blanked by IceMen in 5-0 Decision - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Dispatch First-Place Cyclones for Third Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Propels K-Wings Past Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits' Comeback Spoiled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Grab a Point in Physical 3-2 Shootout Road Loss in Portland - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Escape with Late Win, Despite Wheeling Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Point Streak Snapped in Road Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wild Win-Iecki: Everblades Hold off Swamp Rabbits for Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Shutout Bears in 5-0 Rout - Jacksonville IceMen
- McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Klima's Last Minute Strike Pushes Norfolk Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Fly Past Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sting Rays as Norfolk Snaps Winless Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Overwhelm Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Americans and Grizzlies Game Tonight Is Cancelled Due to Travel Issues - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies December 28th Game Rescheduled - Utah Grizzlies
- Josh Anderson Added to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Guillaume Naud Added to Fuel Blue Line - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Make Adjustment to Promotional Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Acquire Rookie Forward from Wichita - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Brad Barone - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, December 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Desmond Bergin to PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Nastasiuk, Sheppard Recalled by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Penguins Recall Kevin Spinozzi - Wheeling Nailers
- OurSports Central's Plays of the Year - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three - Kalamazoo Wings
- LaCouvee Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals End Break, Host 1st-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Tammela Tricks IceMen in 4-3 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quick Start Propels 'Blades to 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Cuddemi, Skinner Pushes Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.