Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder
GLENS FALLS, N.Y. - The Manchester Monarchs dropped their fourth straight game, 4-2, against the Adirondack Thunder, Friday night at the Cool Insuring Arena.
The Monarchs (13-14-1-1), despite scoring two goals in the third period, couldn't catch the Adirondack Thunder (16-9-2-2) and fell, 4-2.
The Thunder opened scoring at 7:35 of the first period when Mike Szmatula scored his 12th goal of the season. Off of a deflection in front of Monarchs goaltender, Chris Driedger, Szmatula snapped a shot over Driedger's glove, making the score to 1-0.
The Thunder scored again at 11:00 of the second period when Kevin Lough scored his first of the season. Lough picked up a pass in the high slot, where he took advantage of a down-and-out Driedger, and wristed a shot over his shoulder, to make the score, 2-0.
The Thunder increased their lead to 3-0 at 1:29 of the third period when Kelly Summers scored his second the season. Summers skated in on a breakaway and pushed the puck through Driedger's five-hole, to increase the lead.
The Monarchs got on the board at 4:49 of the third period when Pavel Jenys scored a power-play goal, his eighth of the season, when he wristed a shot past Adirondack goaltender, Alex Sakellaropolous, bringing the score to 3-1.
The Monarchs pulled within one at 11:52 of the third period when Jenys got his second power-play goal of the night, ninth of the season, rocketing a slap-shot past Sakellaropolous, to make the score, 3-2.
The Thunder added an empty net goal at 19:03 of the third period to make it a 4-2 game, as Conor Riley scored his 13th of the season, to complete the scoring.
The Monarchs return to action Saturday, Dec. 29 at 7 p.m., when they take on the Adirondack Thunder at Cool Insuring Arena. For tickets, Season Memberships and group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2018
- Steelheads Roll Through Rush with 9-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Blanked by IceMen in 5-0 Decision - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Dispatch First-Place Cyclones for Third Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Propels K-Wings Past Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits' Comeback Spoiled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Grab a Point in Physical 3-2 Shootout Road Loss in Portland - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Escape with Late Win, Despite Wheeling Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Point Streak Snapped in Road Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wild Win-Iecki: Everblades Hold off Swamp Rabbits for Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Shutout Bears in 5-0 Rout - Jacksonville IceMen
- McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Klima's Last Minute Strike Pushes Norfolk Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Fly Past Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sting Rays as Norfolk Snaps Winless Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Overwhelm Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Americans and Grizzlies Game Tonight Is Cancelled Due to Travel Issues - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies December 28th Game Rescheduled - Utah Grizzlies
- Josh Anderson Added to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Guillaume Naud Added to Fuel Blue Line - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Make Adjustment to Promotional Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Acquire Rookie Forward from Wichita - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Brad Barone - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, December 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Desmond Bergin to PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Nastasiuk, Sheppard Recalled by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Penguins Recall Kevin Spinozzi - Wheeling Nailers
- OurSports Central's Plays of the Year - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three - Kalamazoo Wings
- LaCouvee Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals End Break, Host 1st-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Tammela Tricks IceMen in 4-3 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quick Start Propels 'Blades to 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Cuddemi, Skinner Pushes Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manchester Monarchs Stories
- Monarchs Drop Final Game in Florida, 8-2
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win
- Monarchs Fall in the Swamp, 6-3, against the Everblades
- Monarchs Drop First Game of Florida Trip, 5-2, to Jacksonville
- Monarchs Fall One Game Short of Sweep in 7-3 Loss to Swamp Rabbits