McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester
PORTLAND, ME - December 28, 2018 - Michael McNicholas scored the game-tying goal with six minutes remaining in the third and then got the game winner in the third round of the shootout as the Maine Mariners came from behind to defeat the Worcester Railers by a final score of 3-2 on Friday night at the Cross Insurance Arena. A crowd of 4,305 watched as the Mariners sported specialty Double Dare jerseys for "Nickelodeon Takeover" night.
Worcester grabbed a 2-0 lead in the opening period on goals from Matty Gaudreau and Woody Hudson. Gaudreau walked in on a breakaway and deked Halverson at 6:13 and Hudson buried a rebound on a power play at 17:26 of the frame. The Mariners trailed 2-0 through 20 minutes, but played a dominant second period, with 20 shots on Railers goaltender Mitch Gillum. At 9:37 of the middle frame, Ryan Culkin spotted Greg Chase behind Gillum and put a pass right on his tape for a tap in to make it 2-1. The Mariners came close with a late power play, but trailed 2-1 heading to the third.
Despite some close calls around Gillum, he held strong until the 14:00 mark, when McNicholas stuffed home a backhand on a wraparound to draw the Mariners even. Culkin picked up the primary assist again. The game proceeded to overtime for the third time in the Maine/Worcester head-to-head series. A thrilling three-on-three passed by without a goal despite each time having a breakaway chance and fittingly on Double Dare night, a mini-game would decide the match.
Ivan Kosorenkov opened with a goal making a slow maneuver and a deke to beat Halverson. After Ty Ronning and Tommy Kelley were stopped, Alex Kile tied it up, dropping a backhand past Gillum. Halverson stretched out to stop Gaudreau and McNicholas was able to slide the game winner just under Gillum's pad. It was McNicholas' third shootout goal of the season.
Halverson got his 12th win with 30 saves while Gillum was the tough luck loser with 39 stops. The Mariners have won a season high five games in a row and will look to sweep the weekend home and home as they travel to Worcester tomorrow night for a 7:05 faceoff at the DCU Center.
The Mariners are back home next weekend to welcome in the Brampton Beast on January 4th and 5th. Friday, January 4th is another 1-2-3 Friday, while Saturday night is "Throwback Night" featuring original Maine Mariners jerseys and alumni appearances. Tickets can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com or by calling 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2018
- Steelheads Roll Through Rush with 9-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Blanked by IceMen in 5-0 Decision - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Dispatch First-Place Cyclones for Third Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Propels K-Wings Past Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits' Comeback Spoiled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Grab a Point in Physical 3-2 Shootout Road Loss in Portland - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Escape with Late Win, Despite Wheeling Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Point Streak Snapped in Road Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wild Win-Iecki: Everblades Hold off Swamp Rabbits for Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Shutout Bears in 5-0 Rout - Jacksonville IceMen
- McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Klima's Last Minute Strike Pushes Norfolk Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Fly Past Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sting Rays as Norfolk Snaps Winless Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Overwhelm Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Americans and Grizzlies Game Tonight Is Cancelled Due to Travel Issues - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies December 28th Game Rescheduled - Utah Grizzlies
- Josh Anderson Added to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Guillaume Naud Added to Fuel Blue Line - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Make Adjustment to Promotional Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Acquire Rookie Forward from Wichita - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Brad Barone - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, December 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Desmond Bergin to PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Nastasiuk, Sheppard Recalled by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Penguins Recall Kevin Spinozzi - Wheeling Nailers
- OurSports Central's Plays of the Year - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three - Kalamazoo Wings
- LaCouvee Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals End Break, Host 1st-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Tammela Tricks IceMen in 4-3 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quick Start Propels 'Blades to 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Cuddemi, Skinner Pushes Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.