Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals scored two goals late in the first period and the final four of the game, overcoming an early deficit to stamp the Newfoundland Growlers, 4-1, Friday at Santander Arena. Alex Roos and Brayden Low tallied in a 2:25 span in the final six minutes of the first frame. Frank DiChiara added an insurance goal on the power play in the third period and Chris McCarthy (1g, 1a) notched his sixth straight multi-point effort with an empty-net tally in the final minute.
The Royals limited Newfoundland to 24 shots and Callum Booth made 23 saves to move to 5-1-0-0 on the season. In the final frame, Reading allowed five shots. Michael Garteig took the loss with 21 saves.
Reading has won three straight games against Newfoundland and the Royals are three points back of Newfoundland (39 pts.) for first in the North Division.
Reading continues the back-to-back with the Growlers Sat., Dec. 29 at 7:00 p.m. APHILLYATION night is Dec. 29 as the Royals honor their affiliation with the Philadelphia Flyers. Four purple zone tickets are available at $15 each. Plus, an opportunity to high five the Royals players in our High Five Tunnel before the game by calling 610-898-7825!
Newfoundland's Matt Bradley scored the opening goal at 5:01 of the first, but Reading found momentum to take a 2-1 lead before the frame ended.
Roos tucked in his fourth of the season at the left post with 5:35 remaining in the first. McCarthy set up the play by taking a pass from Josh MacDonald (2a) and sliding it off Garteig at the left post. The rebound remained free for Roos.
At 16:50 of the first, Brayden Low deflected a right-point shot from Charlie Vasaturo and made it 2-1 Reading. Jack Riley dished to Vasaturo right point. He waited and timed a shot off Low, who was standing at the left slot. It fooled Garteig far post.
The Royals went 1-for-3 on the man up and DiChiara's power-play insurance tally provided Reading a 3-1 advantage with 8:29 to go. DiChiara waited and timed a top-shelf wrist shot over Garteig, assisted by Kevin Goumas and Nick Luukko. DiChiara has eight goals this season after scoring nine last season with Worcester.
The Growlers were 0-for-1 on the man up.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2018
- Steelheads Roll Through Rush with 9-1 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Blanked by IceMen in 5-0 Decision - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Dispatch First-Place Cyclones for Third Straight Victory - Indy Fuel
- Gardiner's Hat Trick Propels K-Wings Past Nailers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs' Comeback Falls Short in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits' Comeback Spoiled by 'Blades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Railers Grab a Point in Physical 3-2 Shootout Road Loss in Portland - Worcester Railers HC
- Wings Escape with Late Win, Despite Wheeling Comeback - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Snap Skid on Military Appreciation Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Point Streak Snapped in Road Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wild Win-Iecki: Everblades Hold off Swamp Rabbits for Shootout Victory - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Shutout Bears in 5-0 Rout - Jacksonville IceMen
- McNicholas Leads Mariners to Comeback Win over Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Klima's Last Minute Strike Pushes Norfolk Past Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Fly Past Monarchs by 4-2 Final - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Drop Fourth Straight Game in 4-2 Loss to Thunder - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Sting Rays as Norfolk Snaps Winless Streak - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Overwhelm Growlers 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Royals Corral First-Place Growlers, 4-1 - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Americans and Grizzlies Game Tonight Is Cancelled Due to Travel Issues - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies December 28th Game Rescheduled - Utah Grizzlies
- Josh Anderson Added to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Guillaume Naud Added to Fuel Blue Line - Indy Fuel
- Solar Bears Make Adjustment to Promotional Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Acquire Rookie Forward from Wichita - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Growlers Sign Brad Barone - Newfoundland Growlers
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, December 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Milwaukee Admirals Sign Desmond Bergin to PTO - Adirondack Thunder
- Nastasiuk, Sheppard Recalled by AHL's Charlotte Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Penguins Recall Kevin Spinozzi - Wheeling Nailers
- OurSports Central's Plays of the Year - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Game Day: Nailers Come to Town for Middle of Three-In-Three - Kalamazoo Wings
- LaCouvee Loaned to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Game Day: Royals End Break, Host 1st-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Tammela Tricks IceMen in 4-3 Solar Bears Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Quick Start Propels 'Blades to 5-2 Win over Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Cuddemi, Skinner Pushes Wichita Past Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- F Chris McCarthy Signs PTO with Hershey Bears
- Season-Ending 18 Skinny Stats for 18 Seasons
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt