Eagles Drop Heartbreaker in Chicago, 3-2
CHICAGO, IL. - Chicago Wolves forward Gage Quinney took advantage of an Eagles turnover with just over a minute to play in regulation to bury the game-winner and propel Chicago to a 3-2 victory over Colorado on Saturday. Eagles forwards A.J. Greer and Logan O'Connor each netted a goal in the loss.
Colorado jumped on top early when forward Greer powered a puck past Wolves goalie Oscar Dansk during a goal-mouth scramble to give the Eagles a 1-0 edge just 4:58 into the contest.
Chicago would even things up 40 seconds later when defenseman Dylan Coghlan snagged a rebound in the slot and snapped a wrister into the back of the net to level the score at 1-1.
As time wound down in the first period, O'Connor would deflect a shot from the left-wing boards, sending the puck through the leg pads of Dansk and giving Colorado a 2-1 advantage with 3:02 remaining in the opening 20 minutes of action.
Heading into the second period Chicago would waste little time in tying things up again, as forward Keegan Kolesar followed his own shot and swept the loose puck in the crease into the back of the net to even the score at 2-2 only 53 seconds into the middle frame.
With the contest still deadlocked to begin the third period, each team would generate several quality chances. However, the lamp would not be lit until Colorado coughed up the puck at the side of the net, allowing Quinney to skate to the top of the crease before firing a shot past Martin to put the Wolves ahead 3-2 with 1:13 left to play. The Eagles would pull Martin in favor of the extra attacker, but they would not be able to find an equalizer, falling by a final score of 3-2.
Martin suffered the loss in net, making 24 saves on 27 shots while Dansk earned the win by turning aside 30 of Colorado's 32 shots on net. The Eagles were 0-for-3 on the power play, but went a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles return to action when they take on the Chicago Wolves at Allstate Arena on Sunday, April 7th at 2:00pm MT.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 6, 2019
- Nilsson, Rockford Outshoot Stars 4-3 - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Edge Condors for Comeback Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Earn Point in Shootout with IceHogs - Texas Stars
- Iowa Drops 5-1 Contest to Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Wolves Clinch Central Division Crown - Chicago Wolves
- Bardreau Nets Two Shorthanded Goals in 4-2 Win over Penguins - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Eagles Drop Heartbreaker in Chicago, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Bear Scores Twice in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Collect Biggest Win of Season over Monsters - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Take Down Marlies in Overtime, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Amerks Flip the Script with 5-2 Win in Rematch with Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Eight Is Great for the Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Toppled by Amerks, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose at Lehigh Valley, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mazanec Comes Back to Haunt Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Jose Sweeps Griffins with 5-4 Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Carey's Two Goals Not Enough as Sound Tigers Beat P-Bruins 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Clipped 3-1 by Senators in Belleville - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Clinch AHL's Best Regular-Season Record - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Blank Wolf Pack in Road Triumph - Utica Comets
- Checkers Stumble in Loss to Springfield - Charlotte Checkers
- Hawryluk, Hunt, Dea Combine for 10 Points as T-Birds Knock off 1st-Place Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Berdin Blanks Heat as Appleton's Early Goal Holds Up - Manitoba Moose
- Third-Period Comeback Sparks 5-4 Overtime Win vs. Grand Rapids - San Jose Barracuda
- Rocket Score Four Goals in the Third Period to Defeat Hershey 5-2 in Front of 8,643 Fans - Laval Rocket
- Sabres Assign Tennyson to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Bears Mourn Loss of Hall of Famer Roger DeJordy - Hershey Bears
- Rocket Down Bears, 5-2 - Hershey Bears
- Stockton's Offense Silenced in Manitoba - Stockton Heat
- Tonight's Game against Rockford Sold Out - Texas Stars
- Kings Assign Amadio to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Dallas Stars Reassign Center Joel L'Esperance to Texas - Texas Stars
- Ryan Merkley Assigned to Barracuda - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Three-In-Three in Binghamton - Toronto Marlies
- Eagles Leading Scorer Agozzino Returns to Lineup - Colorado Eagles
- Rampage Sign Jackson, Tucker to Amateur Tryouts - San Antonio Rampage
- Heat Battle Moose this Weekend in Winnipeg - Stockton Heat
- Game Preview: Bears at Rocket, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Steven Swavely Loaned to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, April 6 - Belleville Senators
- Blackhawks Recall Lankinen - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Battle Griffins for 3-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Strike on Late Penalty Shot to Sneak by Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Capped by Gulls, 6-1 - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Batter Reign, 6-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Hold-Off Pesky Griffs, 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs to Host Former Head Coach Martinson & Colonial Cup During Home Finale - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Top Wolves for 7th Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.