Checkers Storm Back to Double up Devils 6-3
BINGHAMTON, NY - The Checkers shook off an early deficit and roared back in Binghamton, snatching a 6-3 win from the Devils.
Things started chaotically in Saturday's rematch. Binghamton opened the scoring 2:18 into regulation, then Jake Bean evened the score 17 seconds later only to see the Devils regain the lead 19 seconds after that.
Things cooled down for a bit after that hectic 36-second stretch, but the Devils knocked one more in on the man advantage to jump out to a 3-1 lead just past the midway point of the first.
With a power-play blast of his own, Oliwer Kaski pulled the Checkers back within one in the final seconds of the opening frame, and that seemed to light a fire under the visitors.
Joey Keane brought the game back to a deadlock with his first tally in a Charlotte sweater early on in the second. Then, less than a minute after that, a puck careened off Clark Bishop's leg and into the back of the net, claiming the visitor's first lead of the night. The Checkers kept piling on as Steven Lorentz roofed a slap shot on the man advantage just minutes later to send the home squad reeling.
With a two-goal lead heading into the final frame, the Checkers leaned on Anton Forsberg to keep Binghamton's attack at bay. The Devils fired 22 shots in the third period alone, and Charlotte's netminder was up to the task on each and every one of them. Forsberg finished the night with 36 stops, and a long-distance empty netter from Lorentz sealed the deal for an impressive victory on the road.
The Checkers snapped a three-game winless streak with tonight's win ... Joey Keane scored his first goal as a Checker ... The Checkers scored multiple power-play goals for the 12th time this season ... The Checkers have recorded a power-play goal in four straight games ... Steven Lorentz recorded his 11th multi-point game of the season ... Lorentz set a career high with four points tonight ... Oliwer Kaski now ranks second among all AHL defensemen with 12 goals ... Kaski has scored a power-play goal in each of the last two games and in three of the last four ... Jake Bean recorded his 13th multi-point game of the season ... The Checkers scored at least three goals in a period for the ninth time in the last 19 games ... A defensemen has scored a goal for Charlotte in each of the last four games ... Anton Forsberg's 22 saves in the third period are the second most in a single period by a Checkers goalie this season ... Forsberg recorded at least 35 saves in two of his last three starts ... Brian Gibbons and Colin Markison both missed the game due to injury ... Jacob Pritchard and Cavan Fitzgerald were healthy extras
Charlotte's road trip continues with a meeting in Hershey on Tuesday.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Iowa Bounces Back with 4-0 Shutout of Texas - Iowa Wild
- Heat Climb to First in Pacific with 4-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Wild Top Stars 4-0 in Series Finale - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Streaks End with 4-3 Loss to Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Moose in Overtime - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Defeat Phantoms, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Up 3-0, Moose Finish Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport comes back to earn one point in front of 5,026 fans on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kostin Caps Comeback in Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
- Astounding Ustimenko in 2-1 Loss at Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Win Fourth-Straight Game, Beat Springfield Thunderbirds, 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Johnson's OT Penalty Shot Lifts Pens over Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Hammer IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Tips Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Win in Shootout over Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Storm Back to Double up Devils 6-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Outslug T-Birds on High Scoring Saturday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Take Down Amerks in 3-2 Overtime Victory - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Halt Devils With 6-3 Win - Binghamton Devils
- Rocket Use Crowd's Energy to Surge Past Marlies 2-1 - Laval Rocket
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Tyler Bird to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game 51 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Connor Recalled to NHL's Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Marlies in Laval for Rendezvous with Rocket - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Release Forward Danny Moynihan - Manitoba Moose
- LA Kings Sign Frk to Two-Year Extension - Ontario Reign
- Coyotes Assign Kuemper to Tucson for Conditioning Purposes - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mark Friedman Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Shoot for First Saturday at Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Wizard Night with Harry Potter Wands Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, February 22, 2020 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Jaros Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Moose, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Face Top Two Atlantic Division Teams this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Return Home Comes With Dramatic Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- LaDue Breaks Through Late to Earn Reign a Point - Ontario Reign
- Stolarz Continues Gulls' Run in 4-1 Win - San Diego Gulls
- Werner Leads Eagles to 2-1 OT Win at Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Starrett Scores First AHL Goal in Loss - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.