Werner Leads Eagles to 2-1 OT Win at Ontario
ONTARIO, CA. - Colorado goaltender Adam Werner made 28 saves on 29 shots, while forwards Jayson Megna and T.J. Tynan provided the goal scoring, as the Eagles defeated the Ontario Reign, 2-1 in overtime on Friday. Tynan netted the game-winner just 16 seconds into the extra session, as Colorado now improves to 15-8-2-0 on the road this season.
After a scoreless first period that saw the Eagles outshoot the Reign 13-10, the game's first goal would finally materialize in the second frame. Defenseman Calle Rosen would hit Megna with a pass from the Colorado zone, sending Megna flying down the ice on a breakaway. Megna would then beat Ontario goaltender Matthew Villalta to give Colorado a 1-0 edge at the 9:51 mark of the second period. The goal was Megna's 17th tally of the season and extended his point streak to five games. The Eagles would close out the second stanza by killing off a Reign power play and headed to the intermission still on top, 1-0.
Colorado would try to keep the Reign at a distance in the third period, with Ontario outshooting the Eagles 12-4 in the final 20 minutes of regulation. However, a late power play for the Reign would set-up the equalizer, as defenseman Paul LaDue would light the lamp with a wrister from the top of the right-wing circle to tie the game at 1-1 with 4:00 left to play in the period.
As the teams headed to overtime, forward Logan O'Connor would snag the puck and drive down the left-wing boards before cutting to the net and firing a shot on net. Villalta would deny the initial opportunity, but Tynan would crash the crease and poke the puck into the back of the net to give Colorado the 2-1 victory just 16 seconds into OT.
The Eagles finished the night going 0-for-4 on the power play, while Ontario capitalized on one of two opportunities on the man-advantage. Colorado outshot the Reign by a final count of 30-29.
The Eagles return to action when they travel to take on the Bakersfield Condors on Saturday, February 22nd at 8:00pm MT at Mechanics Bank Arena in Bakersfield, California.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Iowa Bounces Back with 4-0 Shutout of Texas - Iowa Wild
- Heat Climb to First in Pacific with 4-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Wild Top Stars 4-0 in Series Finale - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Streaks End with 4-3 Loss to Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Moose in Overtime - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Defeat Phantoms, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Up 3-0, Moose Finish Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport comes back to earn one point in front of 5,026 fans on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kostin Caps Comeback in Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
- Astounding Ustimenko in 2-1 Loss at Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Win Fourth-Straight Game, Beat Springfield Thunderbirds, 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Johnson's OT Penalty Shot Lifts Pens over Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Hammer IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Tips Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Win in Shootout over Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Storm Back to Double up Devils 6-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Outslug T-Birds on High Scoring Saturday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Take Down Amerks in 3-2 Overtime Victory - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Halt Devils With 6-3 Win - Binghamton Devils
- Rocket Use Crowd's Energy to Surge Past Marlies 2-1 - Laval Rocket
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Tyler Bird to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game 51 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Connor Recalled to NHL's Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Marlies in Laval for Rendezvous with Rocket - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Release Forward Danny Moynihan - Manitoba Moose
- LA Kings Sign Frk to Two-Year Extension - Ontario Reign
- Coyotes Assign Kuemper to Tucson for Conditioning Purposes - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mark Friedman Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Shoot for First Saturday at Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Wizard Night with Harry Potter Wands Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, February 22, 2020 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Jaros Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Moose, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Face Top Two Atlantic Division Teams this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Return Home Comes With Dramatic Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- LaDue Breaks Through Late to Earn Reign a Point - Ontario Reign
- Stolarz Continues Gulls' Run in 4-1 Win - San Diego Gulls
- Werner Leads Eagles to 2-1 OT Win at Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Starrett Scores First AHL Goal in Loss - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- MacDonald Named AHL Second Team All-Star
- Colorado Eagles Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 AHL Regular Season and Playoffs
- Colorado Signs Goaltender Peyton Jones
- Wagner Re-Signs with Eagles for 2020-21 Season
- Eagles Sign Forward Charlie Gerard for 2020-21 Season