Checkers Halt Devils With 6-3 Win
BINGHAMTON - The Charlotte Checkers rebounded with a 6-3 win over the Binghamton Devils on Saturday night in front of 4,430 at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
The second contest of the weekend got off to a quick start when Chris Conner grabbed the first goal of the game just 2:18 into the first period. Receiving the puck right out in front, Conner beat goaltender Anton Forsberg from the left circle for his 11th of the year. Tallying the assists on Conner's goal were David Quenneville and Egor Sharangovich to give the Devils a 1-0 lead.
Just 17 seconds after Conner's goal, Charlotte was very quick to answer as Jake Bean tied the game at one with his eighth of the season. A quick pass from Steven Lorentz led to Bean launching the puck over the left shoulder of Louis Domingue and into the back of the net. Lorentz and Terry Broadhurst collected the helpers on the play at the 2:35 mark of the first.
Binghamton snatched the lead back 19 seconds later with Michael McLeod's eighth of the season. After Brandon Baddock and Nathan Bastian fought to free the puck from a mass of Checkers defensemen behind the net, it landed on the stick of McLeod waiting out in front. McLeod's falling one timer beat Forsberg, putting the Devils back up by one. Baddock logged the primary assist and Bastian registered the second at 2:54 of the first period.
A power-play goal at 11:56 of the first period lifted the Devils to a 3-1 lead. Matt Tennyson fed a pass over to Julian Melchiori who rocketed a one timer that flew right past Forsberg for his fifth of the year. The assists on the play were credited to Tennyson and Brandon Gignac for the two-goal lead.
With just 15 seconds left in the first, the Checkers cashed in on a power play to pull within one. Oliwer Kaski blasted a slap shot over the shoulder of Domingue and the Devils lead was decreased to 3-2. Bean collected the lone assist and the Devils took the 3-2 lead into the first intermission.
The Checkers started the second period off strong with three goals, grabbing their first lead of the game. Joey Keane logged his ninth of the season as he whipped a shot from the left wing circle, that went off the post and in. David Gust and Lorentz registered the assists on the goal 3:34 into the period.
The second strike came off a double deflection at 4:21 into the period when Fredrik Claesson sent the puck at the net, hitting both Spencer Smallman and Clark Bishop out in front, with Bishop ultimately receiving the credit for the goal. Charlotte took a 4-3 lead on Bishop's sixth of the year.
6:34 into the middle frame, Lorentz buried his 18th of the season on the power play. Lorentz raced down the left side and rocketed a shot over Domingue's shoulder for a 5-3 lead. The blast shot settled right under the crossbar with Keane recording the lone assist. Charlotte took a two-goal lead into the third period.
Charlotte added the empty-net goal for a 6-3 win. Forsberg stopped 36 of 39 for the win while Domingue denied 17 of 22 in the loss.
The Devils are back home next Friday and Saturday night against Hartford and Toronto. Friday is $10 college tickets and DIFD Night to support mental health awareness in the Southern Tier. Saturday gainst Toronto is Heart Cup Night at 4:05 p.m. followed by Binghamton Police and Fire Departments battling it out on the ice. Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils center Nate Schnarr vs. the Charlotte Checkers
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2020
- Iowa Bounces Back with 4-0 Shutout of Texas - Iowa Wild
- Heat Climb to First in Pacific with 4-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Wild Top Stars 4-0 in Series Finale - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Streaks End with 4-3 Loss to Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sens Storm Back to Beat Moose in Overtime - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Defeat Phantoms, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Up 3-0, Moose Finish Short in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport comes back to earn one point in front of 5,026 fans on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kostin Caps Comeback in Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
- Astounding Ustimenko in 2-1 Loss at Syracuse - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Win Fourth-Straight Game, Beat Springfield Thunderbirds, 7-4 - Providence Bruins
- Johnson's OT Penalty Shot Lifts Pens over Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Hammer IceHogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Tips Wolf Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Win in Shootout over Bridgeport - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Storm Back to Double up Devils 6-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Outslug T-Birds on High Scoring Saturday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Take Down Amerks in 3-2 Overtime Victory - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Halt Devils With 6-3 Win - Binghamton Devils
- Rocket Use Crowd's Energy to Surge Past Marlies 2-1 - Laval Rocket
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Tyler Bird to PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game 51 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- O'Connor Recalled to NHL's Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Marlies in Laval for Rendezvous with Rocket - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Release Forward Danny Moynihan - Manitoba Moose
- LA Kings Sign Frk to Two-Year Extension - Ontario Reign
- Coyotes Assign Kuemper to Tucson for Conditioning Purposes - Tucson Roadrunners
- Mark Friedman Returned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Heat Shoot for First Saturday at Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Condors Host Wizard Night with Harry Potter Wands Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, February 22, 2020 vs. Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Jaros Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Moose, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Announce Pair of Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Face Top Two Atlantic Division Teams this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Return Home Comes With Dramatic Overtime Win - Tucson Roadrunners
- LaDue Breaks Through Late to Earn Reign a Point - Ontario Reign
- Stolarz Continues Gulls' Run in 4-1 Win - San Diego Gulls
- Werner Leads Eagles to 2-1 OT Win at Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Starrett Scores First AHL Goal in Loss - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Devils Stories
- Binghamton Devils Re-Sign Ryan Schmelzer to AHL Contract
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Street Named Devils' 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Devils, Americans, Comets, and Crunch to Host Blood Drives
- AHL Suspends Season - Statement from the Binghamton Devils