Bradley Scores in Overtime to Lift Greenville over Rays
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits snapped a three-game overtime losing skid and extended their point streak to seven in a 5-4 overtime win at South Carolina on Friday night.
Greenville would open the night's scoring with Bryce Reddick tallying on a rebound with his first goal as a Swamp Rabbit at the 5:02 mark of the first period. Reddick's goal marked his first ECHL tally since March 2013 with the Las Vegas Wranglers.
The Swamp Rabbits extended their early lead with Max Zimmer racing along the left wing, and beating Alex Dubeau five-hole to double his team's lead with 4:40 left in the first period. With time running out in the opening period, South Carolina's Mark Cooper fired a wrist shot just inside the blue line. Cooper's shot hit a Greenville defender and beat Ryan Bednard to cut Greenville's lead to 2-1.
Next period, on Greenville's second power play of the night, Swamp Rabbit newcomers Jacob Hayhurst and Luc Brown connected. Hayhurst fired a pass from the right circle with Brown redirecting past Dubeau to put Greenville ahead 3-1 at the 1:27 mark of the second period.
Just over a minute later, Stingrays forward Cameron Askew ripped a shot from the right circle to again cut the Greenville lead to one with 17:08 left in the period. Greenville restored their two-goal lead on the power play with Greg Meireles beating Dubeau from the high-slot at the 8:44 mark of the second frame. South Carolina again tallied late by scoring in the final minute of the middle period. Dylan Steman capitalized after burying a pass from Andrew Cherniwchan from beneath the goal line into an open net at 19:51.
In the final period, South Carolina equalized early in the stanza to knot the score at 4-4. Darien Craighead found a rebound at the net front at the 7:24 mark of the third period. For the fourth consecutive game, overtime was required to decide an outcome.
In sudden-death, both teams traded chances with Greenville getting the last laugh. At 3:49 of three-on-three, Bednard denied a South Carolina 2-on-1 rush, and Samuel Jardine turned the rebound into a stretch pass for Matt Bradley. On a race to a loose puck, Bradley beat Dubeau out of his net, allowing Bradley to score the overtime winner into an empty cage.
The 5-4 overtime win improved Greenville's record to 4-3-3-1 on the season. The Swamp Rabbits finished the night 2-for-4 on the power play and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill. Final shots on goal were 34-29 in favor of South Carolina.
The Swamp Rabbits and Stingrays will rematch tomorrow, Saturday, January 16 at 6:05 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum. Greenville will conclude their weekend the following afternoon with a 3:05 p.m. matinee against the Jacksonville Icemen at Bon Secours Wellness Arena. Ticket information is available for Sunday's game online at swamprabbits.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2021
- Grizzlies Defeat Mavericks 4-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Bradley Scores in Overtime to Lift Greenville over Rays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Slip Past IceMen in Shootout 4-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Sadowy Scores in Shootout to Lift Solar Bears Past Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Earn 1 Point in Comeback Overtime Loss - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- Four Solar Bears Head to AHL Syracuse - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, January 15, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Announce Second Phase of the 2020-2021 Schedule - Allen Americans
- Greenville Adds Two More Players Prior to Weekend - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Announce Third Tier of 2020-21 Season Schedule - Jacksonville IceMen
- Komets Announce Start of Season Schedule - Fort Wayne Komets
- Everblades Announce More Games for 2021 - Florida Everblades
- Rush, ECHL, Announces Third Wave of 2020-21 Season Schedule, Conference Alignment - Rapid City Rush
- Swamp Rabbits, ECHL Announce Next Phase of Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Announce Third Phase of 2020-21 Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Announce Third Window of ECHL Schedule - Indy Fuel
- Grizzlies Add 13 Home Games to 2020-21 Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Third Window of Games Announced - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Schedule Through April 4 - ECHL
- Oilers Announce Third Segment of Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Adds New Dates to 2021 Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Announce Part Three of 2020-21 Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Clear Six New Players for Weekend against Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Greenville Inks Forward Jacob Hayhurst - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Anthony Rinaldi from Kansas City - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Preview: January 15, 2021 Kansas City at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays vs. Swamp Rabbits, January 15 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Ink Forward Nogard - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Rabbits Take Two of Three over Americans, Win 6-4 on Saturday Night
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM
- Rabbits Erase Third Period Deficit, Drop Late 5-4 Decision to Allen
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM
- Swamp Rabbits Emerge Victorious Behind Bednard's Big Night