Sadowy Scores in Shootout to Lift Solar Bears Past Icemen
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Tad Kozun assisted on all three goals in regulation, and Dylan Sadowy netted the shootout-winning tally as the Orlando Solar Bears (6-4-0-0) picked up a 4-3 shootout victory over the Jacksonville Icemen (4-6-1-1) on Friday night at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena.
After Jacksonville built a 1-0 lead with a power-play goal from Nick Saracino at 7:39 of the first period, Taylor Cammarata redirected a point shot from Mark Auk past Eamon McAdam for his first goal of the season at 15:16 to tie the score.
Pascal Aquin scored in the second period to put Orlando in another one-goal deficit, but the visitors responded in the third frame as Tyler Bird redirected a shot from Kozun at 8:39 for his second of the season.
Jerry D'Amigo then gave Orlando its only lead in regulation at 15:44 with his first of the season, but Jared VanWormer scored for the Icemen at 16:05 to tie the score.
The Solar Bears were forced to play down a man early in overtime when they were whistled for a bench minor penalty for too many men on the ice just 46 seconds into the extra frame, but Sparks and the defense came up big, with Sparks turning aside five Jacksonville shots in OT, sending the game to the penalty shot contest.
After Saracino was stopped by Garret Sparks in the top of the first round, Sadowy scored the lone goal for Orlando, as the Icemen failed to even the score in the shootout, lifting the Solar Bears to the win.
Sparks picked up the victory with 32 saves on 35 shots against; McAdam went 32-for-35 as well in taking the shootout loss.
Kozun's three points were a season-high among Solar Bears players
Mark Auk assisted on Cammarata's goal, giving him a three-game assist streak (4a) since joining Orlando
Orlando's comeback improved the team to 2-4-0-0 when trailing after two periods this season
The Solar Bears are 3-4-0-0 when allowing the first goal
The victory was Orlando's first road shootout win since March 23, 2019 at Florida (4-3 W)
Sparks' win was his 28th career victory for the Solar Bears, moving him past John Curry for sole possession of second on the team's all-time wins list
1) Dylan Sadowy - ORL
2) Tad Kozun - ORL
3) Nick Saracino - JAX
NEXT GAME: The Solar Bears are back on home ice at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center against the Florida Everblades on Saturday, Jan. 16 at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2021
- Grizzlies Defeat Mavericks 4-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Bradley Scores in Overtime to Lift Greenville over Rays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Slip Past IceMen in Shootout 4-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Sadowy Scores in Shootout to Lift Solar Bears Past Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Earn 1 Point in Comeback Overtime Loss - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- Four Solar Bears Head to AHL Syracuse - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at IceMen, January 15, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Americans Announce Second Phase of the 2020-2021 Schedule - Allen Americans
- Greenville Adds Two More Players Prior to Weekend - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- IceMen Announce Third Tier of 2020-21 Season Schedule - Jacksonville IceMen
- Komets Announce Start of Season Schedule - Fort Wayne Komets
- Everblades Announce More Games for 2021 - Florida Everblades
- Rush, ECHL, Announces Third Wave of 2020-21 Season Schedule, Conference Alignment - Rapid City Rush
- Swamp Rabbits, ECHL Announce Next Phase of Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Announce Third Phase of 2020-21 Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fuel Announce Third Window of ECHL Schedule - Indy Fuel
- Grizzlies Add 13 Home Games to 2020-21 Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Third Window of Games Announced - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Schedule Through April 4 - ECHL
- Oilers Announce Third Segment of Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Adds New Dates to 2021 Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Announce Part Three of 2020-21 Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Clear Six New Players for Weekend against Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Greenville Inks Forward Jacob Hayhurst - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Swamp Rabbits Acquire Anthony Rinaldi from Kansas City - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Stingrays, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Preview: January 15, 2021 Kansas City at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays vs. Swamp Rabbits, January 15 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades Ink Forward Nogard - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Bird, LeBlanc lift Solar Bears to 4-3 OT win over Swamp Rabbits
- Tonight's Start Time for Game against Greenville Delayed Until 7:30 p.m. ET
- Brady Boardman Selected as Teacher of the Month for March
- Solar Bears complete comeback in 4-3 shootout win
- Bear Bites - Solar Bears Update