Aspirot Enjoying Life as a Professional
There's no other way around it. Jonathan Aspirot has made an impression on the Belleville Senators.
The rookie defenceman, who can also hybrid as a forward, has been turning heads in the Sens organization for a couple of years as an invite in 2018 and 2019 to Ottawa's Rookie Tournament team.
He locked himself in with the franchise on Sept. 19 by signing a two-year deal with Belleville. And in the process, forwent his final year of junior eligibility with Moncton of the QMJHL, a team he captained last season.
"I love the experience I'm having here," Aspirot said. "I'm enjoying every second I'm here and really it's the best time of my life."
The 20-year-old, who's played six times for Belleville this season, has already bagged his first professional goal, a feat he accomplished against Providence on Oct. 19.
"It was unreal," Aspirot said of scoring. "It was a big thing for me. It made me feel like I'm part of here.
"I took the puck back home, put it on the shelf and that's where it's been since."
Not expected to necessarily play a ton for Belleville this season - the first year of his contract is a two-way AHL deal - he's been pressed into immediate action with the Sens and head coach Troy Mann continues to be impressed by his young d-man.
"It goes back to development camp," Mann said. "He looked to have something that intrigued you as a coach. One of the greatest things about him is his work ethic and his compete level. He's got a really good motor and the way the game's played nowadays you need to be able to skate and that's certainly one of his strengths.
"I love the fact he's trying to get better on a day-to-day basis."
A native of Mascouche, QC., Aspirot isn't too much younger than some of his fellow defenceman. Max Lajoie, Andreas Englund and Christian Jaros are only a few years older than him but Aspirot is leaning on those guys, and some of the more seasoned vets on the team, due to the vast professional experience they have already garnered.
"They teach me a lot," Aspirot said. "They talk to me a lot on the ice and off too. They have helped me make my game better and make me a better hockey player too."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Kylington Hat Trick Fuels Heat Comeback Attempt in Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Falters in 3-2 Loss to Ontario - Iowa Wild
- Lindgren's 25-Save Shutout Leads Rocket to Sixth Consecutive Victory - Laval Rocket
- Texas Falls to Colorado 5-2 in First-Ever Matchup - Texas Stars
- Wolves Stopped by Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Welinski Wins It for Lehigh Valley in Overtime - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Post Game Notes: Stars 2 vs. Eagles 5 - Texas Stars
- Toronto Earns Split with 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eagles Pour on the Offense in 5-2 Win at Texas - Colorado Eagles
- Lost Lead, Lost Shootout Costs Pack a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Senators Beat Hartford in a Shootout Again - Belleville Senators
- RECAP: DeSmith Records 35-Save Shutout in 2-0 Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Drop 4-0 Decision to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Fall In Overtime To Comets, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Phantoms Down Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Wahlstrom scores in his return to Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Blanked by Penguins, 2-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Shocked by Thunderbirds for OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Snatch Victory Late in Charlotte to Earn Series Split - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Close out Royal Road Trip Today in Grand Rapids - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Assign Luukkonen to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Benoit - San Diego Gulls
- Game 13 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Aspirot Enjoying Life as a Professional - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Assign Comrie to Tucson for Conditioning - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Host Moon Landing Jersey Patriotic Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Look to Extend Point Streak Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Hogs D-Man Ian McCoshen to Match Fan Donations for Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Wolf Pack, November 9 - Belleville Senators
- Ottawa Recalls White from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Third Period Throttle - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Win Third in a Row, Top Bakersfield 5-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Drop Weekend Opener in Front of 5,344 - Bakersfield Condors
- Carr, Admirals Quiet Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Gillies Leads Effort in Pushing Point Streak to Seven Games - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Hold off the Cleveland Monsters to Extend Win Streak to Five with a 2-1 Victory - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Ottawa's 2021 23-Man Roster Includes Seven Belleville Graduates Plus Three More on Taxi Squad
- Colby Williams Signs One Year AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Reinhardt Earns Amateur Tryout with Belleville Senators
- LaBate Inks a New AHL Contract with the Belleville Senators
- Cole Cassels Rejoins Belleville Senators on One Year AHL Deal