Lindgren's 25-Save Shutout Leads Rocket to Sixth Consecutive Victory
CLEVELAND - The Laval Rocket extended their win streak to six with a flawless 4-0 victory over the Cleveland Monsters, the Columbus Blue Jackets' affiliate, on Saturday night. In a game defined by a strong rivalry and physical play, both teams logged a total of 64 penalty minutes. Charlie Lindgren made 25 saves and earned his first shutout of the season after a brilliant performance between the pipes.
The Laval netminder left his mark early in the game. While the Rocket were on a powerplay, Stefan Matteau managed to find himself on a breakaway and was stopped by Lindgren who made a brilliant glove save to keep the game scoreless.
Like Friday's tilt, the visitors were once again dominant in the first period. The Rocket's aggressive forecheck led to several quality shots on goaltender Veini Vehvilainen who conceded the first goal of the game on the opponents' eighth shot. Kevin Lynch scored his first goal in the Rocket uniform on a four-on-four. He adeptly rid himself of his defender before masterfully deking the puck past the Monsters' netminder. Lukas Vejdemo and Karl Alzner registered assists on the goal.
The Rocket doubled their tally early in the second period. Matthew Peca took advantage of the traffic in front of Vehvilainen's net and scored his first goal of the season from a sharp angle. Tension and animosity were high between the rivals near the halfway mark of the game. After Justin Scott delivered a dangerous hit on Jake Evans, Antoine Waked dropped the gloves with Scott to defend his teammate. After two periods of play, Lindgren remained perfect on 18 shots. He made a clutch blocker save on Markus Hannikainen who was on a breakaway.
The Monsters upped the tempo in the third period, but the Rocket's defense stifled their chances and blocked several shots. Lindgren continued to be the difference as he made seven more saves. Alex Belzile scored two empty-net goals in the final minutes of the game as the Monsters pulled their goalie for an additional player. With the victory, the Rocket swept the Monsters on their two-game road trip.
"Going down the lineup, every single guy was selling out tonight and that's why it was truly a team win. When you see guys selling out and throwing their bodies in front of pucks, as a goalie, that's inspiring and motivating," said Lindgren after the win.
LAV: Lynch (Vejdemo, Alzner) | Peca | Belzile (Vejdemo) - EN | Belzile (Juulsen) - EN - SH
Unités spéciales/Special teams
LAV | AN/PP: 0/4 | IN/PK: (6/6)
CLE | AN/PP: 0/6 | IN/PK: (4/4)
LAV: Lindgren (25/25) CLE: Vehvilainen (25/27)
Trois étoiles/Three stars
1. Lindgren - LAV 2. Lynch - LAV 3. Peca - LAV
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2019
- Kylington Hat Trick Fuels Heat Comeback Attempt in Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Falters in 3-2 Loss to Ontario - Iowa Wild
- Lindgren's 25-Save Shutout Leads Rocket to Sixth Consecutive Victory - Laval Rocket
- Texas Falls to Colorado 5-2 in First-Ever Matchup - Texas Stars
- Wolves Stopped by Moose - Chicago Wolves
- Welinski Wins It for Lehigh Valley in Overtime - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Post Game Notes: Stars 2 vs. Eagles 5 - Texas Stars
- Toronto Earns Split with 5-2 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Eagles Pour on the Offense in 5-2 Win at Texas - Colorado Eagles
- Lost Lead, Lost Shootout Costs Pack a Point - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Defeat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-1 - Providence Bruins
- Senators Beat Hartford in a Shootout Again - Belleville Senators
- RECAP: DeSmith Records 35-Save Shutout in 2-0 Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Drop 4-0 Decision to Rocket - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Fall In Overtime To Comets, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Phantoms Down Bears in Overtime, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Wahlstrom scores in his return to Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Blanked by Penguins, 2-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Shocked by Thunderbirds for OT Loss - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Snatch Victory Late in Charlotte to Earn Series Split - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Close out Royal Road Trip Today in Grand Rapids - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Assign Luukkonen to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Benoit - San Diego Gulls
- Game 13 Preview: Stockton at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Aspirot Enjoying Life as a Professional - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Assign Comrie to Tucson for Conditioning - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Host Moon Landing Jersey Patriotic Night Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Look to Extend Point Streak Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Hogs D-Man Ian McCoshen to Match Fan Donations for Brovember - Rockford IceHogs
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Wolf Pack, November 9 - Belleville Senators
- Ottawa Recalls White from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Third Period Throttle - Tucson Roadrunners
- Gulls Win Third in a Row, Top Bakersfield 5-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Drop Weekend Opener in Front of 5,344 - Bakersfield Condors
- Carr, Admirals Quiet Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Gillies Leads Effort in Pushing Point Streak to Seven Games - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Hold off the Cleveland Monsters to Extend Win Streak to Five with a 2-1 Victory - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Powerplay Propels Rocket to 3-2 Victory over Monsters
- Dive into the Heart of the American Hockey League with 25Stanley
- Rocket Fall 6-3 to the Thunderbirds
- Rocket Leave Syracuse with a 4-2 Win
- Rocket Will Host the Best Women's Hockey Players in the World in a Double-Header at Place Bell