Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win
Allen, Texas - The Utah Grizzlies won 5-2 over the Allen Americans on Friday night to clinch a postseason spot for the 11th time in their last 12 seasons.
Utah got contributions from everyone in the lineup as Joey Ratelle had 2 goals for the Grizzlies and Turner Ottenbreit had 1 goal and 1 assist. Kevin Carr was solid in goal for the Grizzlies as he stopped 37 of 39 shots.
Utah scored the only goal in the first period as Ottenbreit scored his 9th of the season. Taylor Richart and Ryan Walters got the assists. Walters ended the night with 2 assists and he has 4 helpers in his last 3 games.
Mike Economos got a great pass from Jack Walker as he put away his 11th goal of the season. It was the first of two great passes from Walker that led to goals. Walker also threw a great pass to Ryan Galt in the third period to give Galt his first professional goal as he made his debut for the Grizzlies. Galt had played with the University of Nebraska-Omaha the past 4 seasons.
Utah's 3rd and 4th goals of the game were both scored by Ratelle as he got his first two goals in a Utah uniform.
Now that the Grizzlies have clinched a playoff spot, the next thing for Tim Branham's team is trying to get home ice advantage in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Utah has 8 games left in the regular season and currently has 76 standings points. They are 5 points behind Idaho (81) and 2 behind Tulsa (78) for second place.
The 2 game series concludes on Saturday night at the Allen Events Center. 6:00 pm MST face-off.
Grizzlies Notes: Utah went 1 for 6 on the power play, while Allen was 1 for 3. Allen outshot Utah 39 to 30 in the game. Forward Tanner Nagel got his first professional point as he got an assist on Ratelle's 2nd goal of the game and 4th for the Grizz. The official name of the playoffs is the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Presented by SmileDirectClub.
1. Joey Ratelle (Utah) - 2 goals.
2. Kevin Carr (Utah) - 37 of 39 saves.
3. Turner Ottenbreit (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.