Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep
(RAPID CITY, SD) - Six different Idaho Steelheads inked their names on the scoresheet, led by Kyle Schempp's two-point night, but it was Tomas Sholl that stole the show with a 20-save shutout, his third of the season, to lead the Steelheads to a 4-0 win over the Rush on Saturday night. The game marks a sweep of the Rush on the weekend series, and coupled with a Kansas City regulation loss, still keeps the Rush trailing by 7 points for the final playoff spot with 5 games remaining.
For a second game in a row, Idaho started the scoring entries, but hit pay dirt in the first period. With just 39 seconds remaining in the frame, Elgin Pearce deflected a shot and slammed the rebound by Rush net-minder Adam Carlson, giving Idaho a 1-0 lead in the final minute of the first (AJ White and Kyle Schempp assisted). Tomas Sholl stopped all 5 shots that he saw in the opening frame in Idaho's net.
Charlie Dodero pushed the Steelheads ahead by two, taking a pass from his own blue line in on a breakaway, and finished with a laser over Carlson's shoulder, giving Idaho a 2-0 lead at 3:48 of the second (Steve McParland had the only assist). Sholl earned his keep in the second frame, this time stopping double the shot count: 10 in the second period.
Will Merchant and Kyle Schempp struck for Idaho in the third period to put the game out of reach for the Steelheads. Merchant made it 3-0 at 7:52 when a shot he fired slipped past Carlson while screened (assisted by Robbie Payne), followed by Schempp's power play shot from the high slot to make it 4-0 with 7:22 remaining in the contest (the goal was unassisted). The Rush could only muster another five shots in the third frame, and fell for the weekend sweep at Idaho's hands by a 4-0 final score.
Adam Carlson stopped 23 of 27 shots in the defeat, which served as his eighth consecutive start (19-16-3-2).
The Rush now gear up for five consecutive matchups against the Idaho Steelheads, with games three, four, and five coming in Boise next week. Puck drop for game three on March 27th is slated for 7:10 p.m. MST at CenturyLink Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.