Growers Win in Shootout
The Growlers earned their 41st win of the season in the 12th round of the shootout as Garrett Johnston scored the winner to solidify the 3-2 win over the Reading Royals.
The Reading Royals opened the scoring for the second straight night as Matt Pohlkamp beat goalie Eamon McAdam on a rebound that eventually found its way under McAdam's leg pad and into the net.
The second period contained the rest of the regulation scoring for the game as both teams traded goals. Marcus Power tied the game with a one-timer that easily beat Royals goalie Jamie Phillips but Kevin Goumas responded exactly 30 seconds later to give the Royals back the lead. Matt Bradley scooped up the puck and danced towards a shorthanded rush where he eventually tucked the puck behind a sprawling Jamie Phillips to score the game-tying goal.
The game would remain tied after 65 minutes of play and in the shootout, neither team scored until the 9th round. The Growlers would come out on top in the 12th round from the stick of Garrett Johnston.
Both goaltenders put in valiant efforts with McAdam finishing with 42 saves in regulation and overtime followed by 11 saves in the shootout. Phillips turned away 33 in 65 minutes and 10 in the shootout.
Brady Ferguson is on a five-game point streak
The three stars were 3 - B. Ferguson (NFL), 2 - K. Goumas (REA) and 1 - G. Johnston (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers head home for the final two regular season games at Mile One Centre taking on the Manchester Monarch on March 29th and 30th. Tickets are available the Mile One Centre Box office or online at mileonecentre.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.