Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win
BRAMPTON, ON - Mike Szmatula netted his team-leading 26th score of the season, but that was the only time the Adirondack Thunder could solve Etienne Marcoux in a 4-1 loss to the Brampton Beast Saturday evening in Ontario.
After Brampton jumped out to a 3-0 lead, Szmatula got Adirondack on the board when he finished a nice pass from James Henry. Peter MacArthur chipped the puck into the offensive zone where Henry split the Brampton defense. The Thunder captain pulled a quick deke before dropping a pass for Szmatula who finished from the left side of the net. The goal was Szmatula's team-leading 26th while MacArthur's assist extended his point streak to six consecutive games.
Marcoux was a brick wall in net for Brampton and the 25-year-old finished the night with 40 saves. The Canadian goaltender also has the most saves in a game against the Thunder this season when he turned aside 48 on January 19 at Cool Insuring Arena.
Eric Schierhorn made his professional debut in goal for Adirondack and he finished his first game with 27 saves. The University of Minnesota product signed an ATO with the Thunder earlier this week.
The Beast used goals from four different skaters to beat Adirondack on this evening. Jordan Henry collected a rebound goal in the first period after Schierhorn made the initial save on the shot from Dan Leavens.
Nathan Todd and Francois Beauchemin potted second-period goals to bring the Beast lead to three. Todd redirected a centering feed from Artur Tianulin past Schierhorn before Beauchemin beat the goaltender with a snipe of a shot off a nifty drop-pass from Anthony Beauregard.
Tianulin recorded a power-play goal less than three minutes after Szmatula got Adirondack on the board for the game's 4-1 final.
The two sides will battle again tomorrow afternoon - puck drop is slated for 2:00 p.m. from CAA Centre in Brampton. For the latest Thunder news, follow the team on all social media @ECHLThunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.