Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland
Reading, PA - Jamie Phillips made ten saves in a 12-round shootout, but the Reading Royals were outlasted by the Newfoundland Growlers, 3-2, Saturday at Santander Arena. The 12-round bout tied the Royals' longest shootout ever, matching the result from March 26, 2006 (3-2 win over the Trenton Titans).
Growlers defenseman Garrett Johnston sent a wrister through Phillips in the 12th to give Newfoundland a win in the final game of the season series. Reading completed the series earning points in seven of 11 games against Newfoundland (4-4-1-2)
Phillips stonewalled 33 of 35 shots, bested by Eamon McAdam (42 saves). The Growlers netminder blocked 11 of 12 shots in the skills competition.
Royals forward Matt Pohlkamp tallied the team's only shootout goal in the top of the ninth round and struck for the game's opening goal with 3:42 left in the first period. Marcus Power beat Phillips with 7:09 left in the second frame to even the score.
Thirty seconds later, Royals forward Kevin Goumas slid a shot through McAdam's five-hole to regain the Royals' lead. Growlers forward Matt Bradley answered Goumas' tally midway through the second on a short-handed breakaway.
In the third period and overtime, the Royals combined for 15 shots on McAdam but could not break the tie.
The Royals wrap-up the three-in-three Sunday at 4:00 p.m. on Scout Night against the Worcester Railers at Santander Arena.
Pohlkamp forced home a loose puck in the midst of a hectic scramble in McAdam's crease to make it 1-0. Josh MacDonald recorded his 25th assist on the goal while Michael Huntebrinker tallied the secondary helper, his 22nd of the year.
Both teams traded blows in the second period, first with Power slotting the puck behind Phillips to tie the score at one.
Goumas scored his fourth in the last seven games after Frank DiChara hit him with a pass in the high slot for a quick breakaway. Then, Bradley took advantage of a Royals' power-play turnover and beat Phillips on a breakaway with 9:02 left in the middle frame.
Phillips forced the shootout by diving across his crease to rob Growlers forward Giorgio Estephan from point-blank range with 1:30 remaining in the overtime period. Pohlkamp beat McAdam with a blocker-side wrist shot in the ninth round of the shootout before Growlers forward Whittaker kept the game alive by beating Phillips with a snap shot.
Reading went 0-for-2 on the man up and killed the Growlers' only opportunity.
Next Home Game
Sun., Mar. 24 Scout Night: 4:00 p.m. vs. Worcester
- Scout Night at the Royals
- Pregame Scout activities 1:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.