Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3
DULUTH, Ga. - Two late goals by the Atlanta Gladiators ended up being the difference in their 4-3 defeat of the Kansas City Mavericks Saturday night at Infinite Energy Center in Gwinnett County, Georgia. The Gladiators scored twice within 14 seconds of each other late in the third period to take down Kansas City. The loss was the Mavericks fifth straight. Greg Betzold continued his impressive month with a goal and an assist on the night, bringing his point total in the month of March to 17 on seven goals and 10 assists in 12 games.
Rocco Carzo kicked off the scoring with a power play goal 5:56 into the game. Defensemen Riley Sweeney and Willie Raskob teamed up for the assists on the goal. The goal extended Carzo's point streak to four games, in which he now has three goals and two assists. Tyson Fawcett tied the game at the 8:36 mark of the first. Avery Peterson assisted on the goal. Darian Dziurzynski gave the Mavericks a late goal with five seconds left in the first period, making the score 2-1 after one period of play. Raskob picked up his second assist of the game on the goal and Greg Betzold was given the second assist.
Atlanta tied the game on a goal from Derek Nesbitt 10:56 into the second period. The goal was assisted by Nick Bligh and Zach Malatesta. Betzold gave the Mavs the 3-2 lead with 4:29 left in the second period. Corey Durocher and Nate Widman assisted on the goal. Through two periods, the Gladiators had outshot the Mavericks 36-23, but the Mavericks carried a 3-2 lead into the third period.
The Mavericks were able to stave off the Gladiators for the first 16 minutes and 36 seconds of the third period, until Matt Lane tied the game. Picking up assists were Nesbitt and Jack Stander. The Gladiators struck the final blow just 14 seconds later, when Nesbitt picked up his second goal of the game. The game-winner was unassisted.
Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald faced his most shots on goal all season, stopping 42 of 46 Atlanta shots. This is the third time in the last four games the Mavericks have given up 40-plus shots.
The Mavericks continue their road trip Tuesday night as they face the Cincinnati Cyclones at U.S. Bank Arena. Face off for the game will be 6:35 p.m. Central Time. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Former Maverick Carter Verhaeghe Becomes Third Consecutive Maverick to Appear on Stanley Cup Roster
- Mavericks Sign Forward Brendan Robbins to Professional Tryout Contract
- Mavericks Trade Vanderlaan to Reading for Futures
- Mavericks Re-Sign Former Kings Draft Pick Matt Schmalz
- Mavericks Sign Rookie Goalie Justin Kapelmaster