Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Greenville opened up a lead to begin in the first period, but the South Carolina Stingrays caught fire the rest of the way. Seven unanswered goals put them in the lead for good in a 7-2 win over the Swamp Rabbits on Saturday night at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
South Carolina struck for four goals in the second period, and three more in the third period. It was the second period where the game turned, thanks in part to two-thirds of a natural hat trick by Cameron Askew, but also due to the fact that they unloaded 25 shots on goal in the middle frame.
The Rays got goals from Mason Mitchell, Stephane Legault, and two goals from Askew, in a shot barrage that turned the reversal in the game.
Askew completed the hat trick in the first 100 seconds of the third period, and South Carolina posted two more goals thanks to Ryker Killins and Grant Besse within 13 seconds to extend the lead to 7-2.
The Swamp Rabbits jumped out to an early lead with two goals from Thomas Ebbing. The first, created by a turnover in the high slot by the Rays at 3:11 of the first. His second, on a 5-on-3 power play, at the front of the net in a largely even first period.
South Carolina outshot Greenville 31-24 in the final two periods of play to take possession advantage.
Greenville continued a strong run on the penalty kill, and killed off all three power play opportunities against them.
The weekend stretch rolls along in Atlanta on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. Catch all of the action on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network, or on the ECHL's streaming video provider, ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- PHPA and ECHL Announce Relief Fund for ECHL Players
- A Message from the Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Ticket FAQ
- 2019-20 ECHL Season Cancelled
- Sunday's Blood Drive Cancelled