Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush
RAPID CITY, S.D. - Tomas Sholl stopped all 20 shots faced for his third shutout of the season as the Idaho Steelheads (39-22-5) take down the Rapid City Rush (27-3-2) with a 4-0 win on Saturday night from Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. The Steelheads finish the road trip with a 4-1-0 record and four-straight wins.
Scoring didn't begin until late in the first period following good possession for stretches by both the Steelheads and the Rush. At 19:21, a Steelheads shot from the blue line led to a scrum at the net, and Elgin Pearce batted in a rebound from the right post to edge the road side ahead, 1-0.
The Steelheads doubled up their advantage early in the second period with the first goal by the netminder not on a rebound. At 3:48, Steelheads defenseman Charlie Dodero led a rush up the left wing and sniped a shot from the left circle, spreading the road lead to 2-0.
In the third period, the Steelheads added two more insurance goals to help seal off the rush. At 7:53, Steelheads forward Will Merchant was fed by forward Robbie Payne in the high slot and fired a shot into the net to triple the lead, 3-0. Steelheads forward Kyle Schempp added to the lead at 12:38 with a power play goal from the left circle on his second shot in the offensive possession, and with the Rush held off the Steelheads sailed to a 4-0 win.
Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (24-11-0) stopped all 20 shots in his third shutout of the season, all of which have come in Rapid City. Rush goaltender Adam Carlson (19-16-5) stopped 23 of 27 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7:10 p.m. to pick up their five-game stretch with the Rush. Tickets are available by calling 208-383-0080 or going to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350 KTIK-AM and at 7:00 p.m. on Cable One Channel 72 and ECHL.TV.
Tickets for the 2019 U.S. Bank Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by SmileDirectClub, will be available in the coming weeks, so follow idahosteelheads.com to see when tickets go on sale. Single-game tickets and ticket packages are available for the rest of the 2018-19 season. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 23, 2019
- Sholl Blanks Rush to Lead Idaho to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Steelheads End Road Trip with 4-0 Shutout Win over Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Bourke, Windsor Lead Solar Bears to Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Win High Scoring Affair, 6-5 - Wichita Thunder
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Blow by Swamp Rabbits, 7-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rays Score Seven Unanswered, Rout Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- 'Blades Battle to Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Solar Bears - Florida Everblades
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Edge Thunder in High-Scoring Affair - Tulsa Oilers
- Nesbitt Heroic as Glads Rally on Marvel Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Marcoux Stays Hot as Brampton Defeats Adirondack 4-1 - Brampton Beast
- Mingo's Four Point Night Propels Jacksonville Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Third Period Tally Sends K-Wings to Home Finale Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Hold on for 3-2 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Growers Win in Shootout - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Take Sole Possession of Fourth with 4-1 Win over the Railers - Manchester Monarchs
- Marcoux Shuts Door on Thunder in 4-1 Beast Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Offense Fizzles in 4-1 Loss in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ingram Returns from Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 23 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host Solar Bears in Lone Game of Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Sign University of New Hampshire Defenseman Boyd - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Suspension - ECHL
- Nailers at Wings Game Day Snap Shot, March 23 - Wheeling Nailers
- Allen Americans Game Capsule - Allen Americans
- Allen Police vs. Allen Fire Today - Allen Americans
- Kivlenieks Recalled to Cleveland - Kalamazoo Wings
- Adams-Moisan Earns Another Call Up - Maine Mariners
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland - Reading Royals
- Game Day: Last Regular Season Home Game at Wings Event Center Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Grizzlies Dominate in 5-2 Win - Allen Americans
- Utah Grizzlies Clinch Postseason Spot with 5-2 Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Edge Ahead of Rush in 3-1 Road Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Push Past Komets in Three-In-Three Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Early Scoring Leads Steelheads to 5-3 Win over Mavericks in Sellout
- Steelheads Weekly - February 17, 2020
- Steelheads Close Weekend with 4-1 Loss to Walleye
- Steelheads Takes 4-2 Win over Walleye to Open Battle of the Fish
- Goaltender Colton Point Reassigned to Texas Stars