Tulsa Nails Down Victory in Wheeling
Wheeling, WV. - The Tulsa Oilers, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Anaheim Ducks and the AHL's San Diego Gulls and powered by Community Care, surge to a 5-2 win on the road in Wheeling.
On Teddy Bear Toss Night at WesBanco Arena, the Nailers found the back of the net first courtesy of Justin Lee, who received a pass from the right-wing boards at the top of the left point and stepped into a heavy wrist shot past the blocker shoulder of Julian Junca to make it 1-0 Wheeling at the 8:03 mark of the first frame, causing the teddies to rain. Tulsa would quickly spoil the festivities, as Alec Butcher finished off an odd-man rush by snapping a far-side wrist shot past the glove hand of Jaxon Castor along the left wing to tie the game 1-1 at 8:41 into the frame. The Oilers added another in the first via Dante Sheriff on a one-touch wrister at the right point near the blueline off a tapped feed from Anthony Costantini that found its way above the glove of Castor, making it 2-1 Tulsa at the 12:57 mark of the opening period.
Tulsa extended their lead thanks to Jimmy Lodge, who took advantage of a turnover in front of the Nailers' net and punched the puck just past Castor from a few feet out to make the score 3-1 Oilers at the 8:23 mark of the middle frame. Davis "T-Bone" Codd pushed Tulsa's lead to 4-1 just as their power play expired, connecting on a net-side pass from Kyle Crnkovic and slamming a top-shelf goal along the right side at the 15:45 mark of the second.
Tulsa stretched out to a 5-1 lead after Tyler Poulsen had a puck deflect off of his skate from a clearing attempt by Wheeling in their own zone, which found its way on goal and past Castor at the 7:02 mark of the final period. The Nailers would add one last goal at the 15:52 mark of the third via a slapshot from the high slot by Matthew Quercia. Tulsa would go on to win 5-2.
Kyle Crnkovic extends his point streak to eight games.
Tyler Poulsen became the first Oilers player to reach 10 goals this season.
Alec Butcher scored against his former team.
Tulsa had five unique goal scorers.
The Oilers continue their Central Division tour, with a 3:10 p.m. CT matchup against the Wheeling Nailers at WesBanco Arena on Sunday, Dec. 10.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram, or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2023
- Ghost Pirates Fall In Overtime Against Greenville - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Thunder Take Teddy Tussle 3-2 Over Railers - Worcester Railers HC
- Centazzo, Tuomisto Combine for Five Goals in Overtime Win Over Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Defeat Everblades in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Tulsa Nails Down Victory in Wheeling - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Down Heartlanders in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Heartlanders Fight Back to Steal Point at Kalamazoo, 4-3 (OTL) - Iowa Heartlanders
- Francis Scores OT Winner, Rabbits Extend Franchise-Record Road Winning Streak with Win Over Ghost Pirates - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bryan Thomson Picks up First Professional Shutout in Series Finale - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Bring Bah Humbug to Wheeling Wonderland - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Down Railers in Shootout, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Take Down Komets on Saturday Night - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Rebound With Decisive 4-1 Victory Against Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Falls in OT for Second Night in a Row - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Prevail in OT for Second Straight Night - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Downed 6-3 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Four-Goal Third Period Lifts Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Keltie Jeri-Leon Called up by Wranglers - Rapid City Rush
- Millman Reassigned by Philadelphia to Lehigh Valley, Brown Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss/Ugly Sweater Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Gustavs Grigals Recalled to AHL Milwaukee, Poreda Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Acquire Darian Skeoch from Savannah - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Finishes Three-Game Series Tonight in Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Star Wars Night Tonight at Cable Dahmer Arena - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Notes: December 9 - Wichita Thunder at Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Savannah Ghost Pirates (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ghost Pirates Entertain Gladiators - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Royals Honor Military Heroes & Toss Teddy Bears in Series Finale with Lions - Military Appreciation / Teddy Bear Toss Game - Reading Royals
- Thunder Falls in Overtime to Rapid City, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Houser Shines in Icemen's 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Jacksonville Icemen
- Brodzinski's Hat Trick Leads the Way in Americans' 5-3 Win in Utah - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.