Fuel Take Down Komets on Saturday Night
INDIANAPOLIS- The Fuel hosted their in-state rivals, the Fort Wayne Komets to finish their weekend on Saturday night. This was the third time this month these teams have met and ultimately the Fuel took the 3-1 win in regulation.
At 5:28, Anthony Petruzzelli got the scoring started with a goal against his former team. Assisted by Cam Hillis and Colin Bilek, the Fuel went up 1-0 early. This was Petruzzelli's first goal as a member of the Fuel.
They added onto their lead at 9:10 with a goal by Matus Spodniak assisted by Jordan Martin.
At 12:45, Fort Wayne's Matt Wedman took an interference penalty giving the Fuel the opportunity on the power play however the Komets killed it off.
Ture Linden scored for Fort Wayne at 18:27 to make it 2-1. Volcan and Adams-Moisan both claimed assists on that goal.
By the end of the first frame, Indy was outshooting Fort Wayne 14-8.
At 6:33 of the second, Chris Cameron and Fort Wayne's Morgan Adams-Moisan each got five minutes for fighting. This officially made Cameron the franchise leader in penalty minutes with 262.
Fort Wayne caught up a bit in shots after some big scoring changes but neither team scored in the second period and the Fuel were still outshooting the Komets 22-19 by the end of the second frame.
At 8:41, Santino Centorame took a holding penalty giving Fort Wayne a power play opportunity. Indy was able to kill off that penalty before taking another one at 13:17, a tripping call on Hillis.
With just under two minutes to go, Fort Wayne pulled their goaltender for the extra skater and at 19:26, Jon Martin scored his tenth goal of the season on the empty net to secure the 3-1 win for the Fuel.
The Indy Fuel are back in action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum on December 16, 2023 for Wintertainment and Teddy Bear Toss against the Kalamazoo Wings.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2023
- Ghost Pirates Fall In Overtime Against Greenville - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Thunder Take Teddy Tussle 3-2 Over Railers - Worcester Railers HC
- Centazzo, Tuomisto Combine for Five Goals in Overtime Win Over Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Defeat Everblades in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Tulsa Nails Down Victory in Wheeling - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Down Heartlanders in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Heartlanders Fight Back to Steal Point at Kalamazoo, 4-3 (OTL) - Iowa Heartlanders
- Francis Scores OT Winner, Rabbits Extend Franchise-Record Road Winning Streak with Win Over Ghost Pirates - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bryan Thomson Picks up First Professional Shutout in Series Finale - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Bring Bah Humbug to Wheeling Wonderland - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Down Railers in Shootout, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Take Down Komets on Saturday Night - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Rebound With Decisive 4-1 Victory Against Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Falls in OT for Second Night in a Row - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Prevail in OT for Second Straight Night - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Downed 6-3 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Four-Goal Third Period Lifts Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Keltie Jeri-Leon Called up by Wranglers - Rapid City Rush
- Millman Reassigned by Philadelphia to Lehigh Valley, Brown Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss/Ugly Sweater Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Gustavs Grigals Recalled to AHL Milwaukee, Poreda Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Acquire Darian Skeoch from Savannah - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Finishes Three-Game Series Tonight in Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Star Wars Night Tonight at Cable Dahmer Arena - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Notes: December 9 - Wichita Thunder at Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Savannah Ghost Pirates (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ghost Pirates Entertain Gladiators - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Royals Honor Military Heroes & Toss Teddy Bears in Series Finale with Lions - Military Appreciation / Teddy Bear Toss Game - Reading Royals
- Thunder Falls in Overtime to Rapid City, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Houser Shines in Icemen's 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Jacksonville Icemen
- Brodzinski's Hat Trick Leads the Way in Americans' 5-3 Win in Utah - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.