Admirals Rebound With Decisive 4-1 Victory Against Jacksonville
Norfolk, VA - In front of their largest crowd of the season, the Norfolk Admirals did not disappoint. After falling to the Jacksonville Icemen on Friday, the Admirals returned the favor and scored a 4-1 victory themselves behind two goals from Stepan Timofeyev.
Yaniv Perests made his ninth appearance of the year and had a stellar performance with 22 saves made off of 23 shots.
In the opening period, it was the Admirals who struck first as Keegan Iverson wristed his shot past Matt Vernon to make it 1-0. Perets was a vital part of the Admirals as he made some big saves to keep the Admirals ahead. The lone goal from Iverson was the only score in the period.
Coming out of the break, the pace of play slowed down as teams weren't able to maintain possession on each end of the ice, but as the Admirals have struggled in the middle frame this season, that was not the case on Saturday. In the final seconds of the period, Justin Robidas netted his sixth goal of the year off the faceoff where his power-play goal made it 2-0 going into the final 20 minutes.
The Icemen vamped up their pressure early on in the third period looking to get back in the game. Just two minutes into play, Jacksonville got on the board to cut into the Admiral's two-goal advantage as Matt Iacoppeli got the puck past Perets. With it being a one-goal game, that did not phase Norfolk the rest of the way.
Timofeyev scored the last two goals for the Admirals, increasing their lead from 2-1 to 4-1, leading to a significant bounce-back victory and avoiding a sweep during the weekend. With this win, the Admirals now have a record of 11-7-1-1 (24 points) for the season, which is their best start since the 2010-2011 season.
Sentara Health Three Stars of the Game
1. NOR - S. Timofeyev (2 goals, 1 assist, +2)
2. NOR - J. Robidas (1 goal)
3. NOR - Y. Perets (22 saves off of 23 shots)
The Norfolk Admirals will travel to the great white north for a three-game series against the first-place Trois-Rivières Lions. Game one will take place on Wednesday, Dec. 13 with puck drop slated for 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2023
- Ghost Pirates Fall In Overtime Against Greenville - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Thunder Take Teddy Tussle 3-2 Over Railers - Worcester Railers HC
- Centazzo, Tuomisto Combine for Five Goals in Overtime Win Over Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Defeat Everblades in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Tulsa Nails Down Victory in Wheeling - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Down Heartlanders in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Heartlanders Fight Back to Steal Point at Kalamazoo, 4-3 (OTL) - Iowa Heartlanders
- Francis Scores OT Winner, Rabbits Extend Franchise-Record Road Winning Streak with Win Over Ghost Pirates - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bryan Thomson Picks up First Professional Shutout in Series Finale - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Bring Bah Humbug to Wheeling Wonderland - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Down Railers in Shootout, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Take Down Komets on Saturday Night - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Rebound With Decisive 4-1 Victory Against Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Falls in OT for Second Night in a Row - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Prevail in OT for Second Straight Night - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Downed 6-3 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Four-Goal Third Period Lifts Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Keltie Jeri-Leon Called up by Wranglers - Rapid City Rush
- Millman Reassigned by Philadelphia to Lehigh Valley, Brown Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss/Ugly Sweater Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Gustavs Grigals Recalled to AHL Milwaukee, Poreda Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Acquire Darian Skeoch from Savannah - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Finishes Three-Game Series Tonight in Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Star Wars Night Tonight at Cable Dahmer Arena - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Notes: December 9 - Wichita Thunder at Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Savannah Ghost Pirates (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ghost Pirates Entertain Gladiators - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Royals Honor Military Heroes & Toss Teddy Bears in Series Finale with Lions - Military Appreciation / Teddy Bear Toss Game - Reading Royals
- Thunder Falls in Overtime to Rapid City, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Houser Shines in Icemen's 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Jacksonville Icemen
- Brodzinski's Hat Trick Leads the Way in Americans' 5-3 Win in Utah - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Admirals Net Seven Goals In Triumphant Victory Against Maine
- Admirals Defeat Mariners; Extend Winning Streak to Four Games
- Admirals Sign Forward Lucas Bombardier
- Moose Recall Golder and Kubicek from Norfolk
- Admirals Score Three Unanswered En Route To Win Over Adirondack