Thunder Down Railers in Shootout, 3-2
WORCESTER - Vinnie Purpura made 36 saves and Patrick Grasso scored in the fourth round of the shootout in a 3-2 victory for the Adirondack Thunder over the Worcester Railers on Saturday night in front of 5,029 at DCU Center.
Jack Jeffers opened the scoring at 10:21 of the first period as he fired in a wrist shot by the glove of goaltender Tristan Lennox from the top of the left wing circle. The goal was his second of the year with the lone assist going to Travis Broughman and a 1-0 lead.
Worcester came back to tie the game late in the first period. Keeghan Howdeshell took the puck in all alone and beat goaltender Vinnie Purpura for his third tally of the year. Riley Piercey and Ryan Verrier were awarded the assists with 53 seconds left in the first period to tie the game 1-1.
Adirondack cashed in on a power play in the second period to take a one-goal lead. Mike Gillespie tipped in a Tristan Thompson shot for his second goal of the year at 5:44 of the middle frame. Thompson and Colin Felix were credited with the assists and the Thunder took a 2-1 lead.
The Railers came back to tie the game with a good bounce off Anthony Repaci's skate and into the net. The goal was his fourth of the year from Todd Goehring and sent the game to the third period tied 2-2.
After no scoring in the third period or overtime, the game was decided in a shootout. Patrick Grasso scored in the fourth round of the shootout and Vinnie Purpura stopped Blade Jenkins for the 3-2 win. Purpura stopped 36 of 38 shots in the victory.
The Thunder return home Wednesday and Friday against Newfoundland and Saturday against Worcester. Friday is $3 Labatt Blue Light and Saturday is Teddy Bear Toss Night in conjunction with the Saratoga Fire Department to benefit The Salvation Army. Watch the Saratoga Fire Department battle the Worcester Fire Department at 1 p.m. and enjoy $4 Bud Light while the Thunder take on the Railers at 7 p.m. Bring your Teddy Bears to throw on the ice when the Thunder score their first goal.
Single game tickets and season tickets for the 2023-24 season are on sale now! For more information on ticket packages, call the front office at 518-480-3355 or visit www.echlthunder.com/tickets. For all the latest Adirondack Thunder news, follow the team on all social media @ECHLThunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 9, 2023
- Ghost Pirates Fall In Overtime Against Greenville - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Thunder Take Teddy Tussle 3-2 Over Railers - Worcester Railers HC
- Centazzo, Tuomisto Combine for Five Goals in Overtime Win Over Cyclones - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Defeat Everblades in Overtime - South Carolina Stingrays
- Tulsa Nails Down Victory in Wheeling - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Down Heartlanders in OT - Kalamazoo Wings
- Heartlanders Fight Back to Steal Point at Kalamazoo, 4-3 (OTL) - Iowa Heartlanders
- Francis Scores OT Winner, Rabbits Extend Franchise-Record Road Winning Streak with Win Over Ghost Pirates - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Bryan Thomson Picks up First Professional Shutout in Series Finale - Idaho Steelheads
- Oilers Bring Bah Humbug to Wheeling Wonderland - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Down Railers in Shootout, 3-2 - Adirondack Thunder
- Fuel Take Down Komets on Saturday Night - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Rebound With Decisive 4-1 Victory Against Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Falls in OT for Second Night in a Row - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Prevail in OT for Second Straight Night - Rapid City Rush
- Growlers Downed 6-3 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- Four-Goal Third Period Lifts Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - December 9 - ECHL
- Keltie Jeri-Leon Called up by Wranglers - Rapid City Rush
- Millman Reassigned by Philadelphia to Lehigh Valley, Brown Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Teddy Bear Toss/Ugly Sweater Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Day Preview: Allen at Utah, 8:10 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Gustavs Grigals Recalled to AHL Milwaukee, Poreda Signed - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Acquire Darian Skeoch from Savannah - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Finishes Three-Game Series Tonight in Black Hills vs. Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Star Wars Night Tonight at Cable Dahmer Arena - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Notes: December 9 - Wichita Thunder at Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Savannah Ghost Pirates (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Ghost Pirates Entertain Gladiators - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Royals Honor Military Heroes & Toss Teddy Bears in Series Finale with Lions - Military Appreciation / Teddy Bear Toss Game - Reading Royals
- Thunder Falls in Overtime to Rapid City, 4-3 - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Houser Shines in Icemen's 4-1 Win at Norfolk - Jacksonville Icemen
- Brodzinski's Hat Trick Leads the Way in Americans' 5-3 Win in Utah - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.