Stenlund Nets Game-Winner in Overtime as Monsters Clip Griffins, 3-2
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters defeated the Grand Rapids Griffins, 3-2, in overtime on Friday night in front of 11,245 fans at The Q. With the win, the Monsters improve to 17-11-4-0 overall this season and with 38 points, remain alone in third place in the AHL's North Division standings.
The Griffins opened the scoring in the first period, getting an even-strength tally from Libor Sulak at 4:20 to give Grand Rapids an early 1-0 advantage.
In the middle frame, former Monsters forward Carter Camper potted home an even-strength goal at 8:50 to push the Griffins lead to 2-0.
Cleveland got on the board in the final frame when Justin Scott poked home a loose puck at 3:39 on feeds from Mark Letestu and Nathan Gerbe, to trim the Grand Rapids lead to 2-1. The Monsters tied the game, 2-2, when Letestu tallied a power-play goal at 18:21 of the period thanks to assists from Adam Clendening and Gerbe.
In overtime, Kevin Stenlund smashed home a three-on-three marker on set-ups from Sonny Milano and Tommy Cross to secure the 3-2 home victory.
Monsters goaltender Brad Thiessen stopped 19 of the 21 shots he faced to improve to 3-1-0 on the season, while Griffins netminder Harri Sateri stopped 33 of the 36 shots he faced to drop to 10-6-2 on the campaign.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Saturday road rematch versus the Grand Rapids Griffins with full coverage, live from Van Andel Arena, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters Holiday Packs are on sale now and include exclusive Monsters Holiday socks, a Monsters snow globe and equal number of Disney on Ice tickets at The Q! Holiday Packs start as low as $54 and can be purchased today by visiting www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters center Justin Scott vs. the Grand Rapids Griffins
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 28, 2018
- Heat Fall Friday in Tucson - Stockton Heat
- Monsters Rally for 3-2 Overtime Win against Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Take Down First Place Charlotte Checkers 4-2 - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Cruise to 5-1 Win over Defending Champs - Rochester Americans
- Lyon Makes 33 Saves as Lehigh Valley Beats Providence 3-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Knock off Rockford, Remain in First - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Extinguish Comets, 10-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Bridgeport goes perfect on the power play en route to its 20th win this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Checkers Stumble in Return from Holidays - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Score Early and Often, Blast Pens 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Lose to Bears, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Stenlund Nets Game-Winner in Overtime as Monsters Clip Griffins, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Bested by Crunch - Utica Comets
- Lyon Leads Phantoms over P-Bruins 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Prevail over T-Birds in See-Saw Battle - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Game #29 Preview: Tucson vs. Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Dallas Recalls Roope Hintz, Texas Loans Brady Norrish to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Marlies Visit Rochester Americans - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Boyle - San Diego Gulls
- Monsters Sign Goaltender Eric Levine to Professional Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Kings Assign Daniel Brickley to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Eagles Recall Herbert from Utah, Anderson Reassigned to Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Flames Assign Alan Quine to Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Rangers Assign Lias Andersson to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dallas Stars Reassign Defenseman Gavin Bayreuther - Texas Stars
- Stockton Opens Two-Game Set at Tucson Friday - Stockton Heat
- Zach Sanford Assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Anaheim Ducks Acquire Trevor Murphy from Arizona - San Diego Gulls
- Sound Tigers Begin Six-Game Road Trip this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Minnesota Wild Assigns Forward Joel Eriksson Ek to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Kevin Spinozzi Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gulls Stay Hot at Home as Newcomer McParland Chips in - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Road Trip Ends with 4-3 Loss to San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Gleason Powers Stars Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- McCarron Scores Twice in 6-4 Loss to Senators - Laval Rocket
- Stars Earn Fifth Straight Home Win in 5-2 Victory - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.