Solar Bears Name Kevin Lohan Captain
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced that defenseman Kevin Lohan has been named team captain for the 2021-22 season. Lohan, 28, becomes just the eighth player in team history to be named to the captaincy on a full-time basis. Defenseman Michael Brodzinski and forwards Tristin Langan and Aaron Luchuk will round out the leadership group as alternate captains on a rotating basis.
"'Losie' is a great kid, he's well-liked in the room, and well-respected - he comes in every day to work," Solar Bears head coach and general manager Drake Berehowsky said. "We have a great leadership; there's so many guys on our team who are great leaders that can wear a letter, but we're confident in this group."
Lohan enters his fourth season with the Solar Bears as the longest-tenured active member of the team after he was originally acquired in a trade with the Toledo Walleye on December 27, 2018. The 6-foot-6, 215-pound blueliner has recorded 25 points (4g-21a) and 105 penalty minutes in 145 career games with the Solar Bears, which ranks fifth in team history.
Prior to turning pro, the Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y. native played four seasons at the University of Michigan and one season at Boston College as a graduate transfer. In 86 total NCAA contests, Lohan combined for 19 points (4g-15a) and 44 penalty minutes. During the 2012-13 season Lohan also skated with the Merritt Centennials of the British Columbia Hockey League, where he posted 23 points (5g-18a) and 26 penalty minutes in 54 games.
"I'm very honored to have the respect from the coaches and the guys in the room - it means the world, and that's all you can ask for," Lohan said. "It's a privilege to be named to the captaincy, but at the end of the day it's a group effort and whether you have a letter or not, your approach and mindset doesn't change."
Orlando Solar Bears captains by season:
2012-13: Ryan Cruthers
2013-14: Eric Baier
2014-15: Stefan Della Rovere
2015-16: Eric Baier and Carl Nielsen
2016-17: Eric Baier
2017-18: Sean Zimmerman
2018-19: Mike Monfredo
2019-20: Mike Monfredo and Chris LeBlanc
2020-21: Chris LeBlanc
2021-22: Kevin Lohan
The Solar Bears open their 10th season of ECHL hockey on Saturday, October 23 when they host the Atlanta Gladiators at 7 p.m. at the AdventHealth Rink at Amway Center.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2021
- Growlers Double up the Lions 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Solar Bears Bring in Brad Barone - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Dallas Assigns Three from AHL Texas to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Announce 2021-22 Roster - Fort Wayne Komets
- Mariners 'Community Collection' Program Returns - Maine Mariners
- Utah Grizzlies Captains Announced for 2021-2022 Season - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Name Kevin Lohan Captain - Orlando Solar Bears
- Klotz, Coatta, Chabot Returned from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Announce Season-Opening Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- Everblades Release Opening Night Roster - Florida Everblades
- World's Top Professional Eater Joey Chestnut to Compete in a Pie-Eating Contest against Local Celebrities and Fans at Worcester Railers Opening Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Announce 2021-22 Season-Opening Roster - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Set Opening Night Roster - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Involved in Two AHL Transactions, Announce Opening Night Roster - Allen Americans
- Heartlanders Announce Opening Night Roster - Iowa Heartlanders
- Icemen Acquire Defenseman Kyle McKenzie from Reading - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Announce Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Announce 2021-22 Season Opening Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Announce 2021-22 Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Announces 2021-22 Season-Opening Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Announce Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Announce 2021-22 Opening Night Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Railers HC Announce 2021-22 Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Announce Season-Opening Roster - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Solar Bears Announce Opening Night Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Announce Season-Opening Roster - Kalamazoo Wings
- Justin Brazeau Assigned to Maine, Completing Season-Opening Roster - Maine Mariners
- 106.9 Mauricie Will Broadcast 15 Lions Games - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Lions Signs Darick Louis-Jean - Trois-Rivieres Lions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.