Growlers Double up the Lions 6-3
The Newfoundland Growlers shook off 590 days of rust as they opened the scoring just 15 seconds into the game as Gordie Green registered his first Growlers goal, beating Lions goalie Kevin Poulin after jumping on a loose puck just beyond the blue paint.
The Growlers kept their foot on the gas in the first period of play as Brennan Kapcheck and Marc Johnstone each registered their first goals in Growlers uniforms. The dogs took a 3-0 lead into the dressing room.
Bobby Mcmann opened the scoring in the second frame by also notching his first goal as a Growler by finishing off a crisp pass from Ty Pelton-Byce on a 2-on-1 play. The Lions finally responded at the 15-minute mark of the second when Alexis D'Aoust tucked the puck behind Growlers netminder Evan Cormier, the goal will go down in history as the first goal in Lions franchise history. Shawn St-Amant added another for the Lions late to bring the Lions within 2 with 20 minutes left to play.
The Growlers once again came out of the dressing room hot as Ryan Chyzowski deflected a pass from Bobby Mcmann behind Kevin Poulin to regain a three-goal Growlers lead just 1 minute and 8 seconds into the final frame.
Cedric Montminy added a goal for the Lions with just under 3 minutes left in the game but the Growlers held on to secure their first victory of the 2021-22 season, 6-3.
Ryan Chyzowski led the Growlers with three points (2G 1A)
Evan Cormier recorded 22 saves to capture his first Growlers win
The three stars were 3 - B. McMann (NFL), 2 - T. Pomerleau (NFL) and 1 - A. D'aoust (TR)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2021
- Growlers Double up the Lions 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Solar Bears Bring in Brad Barone - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Dallas Assigns Three from AHL Texas to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets Announce 2021-22 Roster - Fort Wayne Komets
- Mariners 'Community Collection' Program Returns - Maine Mariners
- Utah Grizzlies Captains Announced for 2021-2022 Season - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Name Kevin Lohan Captain - Orlando Solar Bears
- Klotz, Coatta, Chabot Returned from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Announce Season-Opening Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- Everblades Release Opening Night Roster - Florida Everblades
- World's Top Professional Eater Joey Chestnut to Compete in a Pie-Eating Contest against Local Celebrities and Fans at Worcester Railers Opening Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Announce 2021-22 Season-Opening Roster - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Set Opening Night Roster - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Involved in Two AHL Transactions, Announce Opening Night Roster - Allen Americans
- Heartlanders Announce Opening Night Roster - Iowa Heartlanders
- Icemen Acquire Defenseman Kyle McKenzie from Reading - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Announce Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Announce 2021-22 Season Opening Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Announce 2021-22 Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Announces 2021-22 Season-Opening Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Announce Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Announce 2021-22 Opening Night Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Railers HC Announce 2021-22 Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Game Preview - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Royals Announce Season-Opening Roster - Reading Royals
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Solar Bears Announce Opening Night Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Announce Season-Opening Roster - Kalamazoo Wings
- Justin Brazeau Assigned to Maine, Completing Season-Opening Roster - Maine Mariners
- 106.9 Mauricie Will Broadcast 15 Lions Games - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Lions Signs Darick Louis-Jean - Trois-Rivieres Lions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.