Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss
KALAMAZOO, MI - Playing two men short for most of the night, the Kalamazoo Wings (4-2-2-0) earned a point in a 6-5 overtime loss to the Fort Wayne Komets (7-4-1-0) Saturday at Wings Event Center.
K-Wings forward Dylan Sadowy had another strong showing, posting four points (2g, 2a) and extending his ECHL-best goal streak to seven games. Sadowy's second goal of Saturday's game came 3:34 into the third period and he set-up Boston Leier for a one-timer 2:31 later on a 2-on-1 rush to put Kalamazoo in front 5-4.
Fort Wayne, who went 4-for-9 on the power play in the game, capitalized on the man-advantage with 6:55 to play when Olivier Galipeau fired a shot up into the top of the net to force overtime. Max Gottlieb then put the game away with a shot from the right circle with 1:49 remaining in 3-on-3 overtime.
Kalamazoo was forced to play without two of its forwards, as Matt Iacopelli and Luke Sandler were given game misconducts for separate incidents in the first and second period. Both infractions sent Fort Wayne to five-minute power plays.
The Komets scored twice on their first elongated power play. Shawn Szydlowski evened the score at 1-1 before the first period ended and Gottlieb put Fort Wayne in front on the same power play early in the second period. Szydlowski added a second goal late in the middle period during a 5-on-3 man-advantage that broke a 3-3 tie.
Rookie Brennan Sanford opened the scoring for Kalamazoo at 11:50 of the first period with a short-handed marker from low in the right circle. After the two Komets goals, Sadowy evened the score with a deflection in front of the net on a rare Kalamazoo power play. Alan Lyszczarczyk put the Komets back in front quickly, scoring 17 seconds later to make it 3-2.
Forward Justin Kovacs brought the game back to even when he scored the K-Wings' third goal of the night with 5:17 left in the second stanza.
Two of Kalamazoo's five power plays came in overtime, but the Wings were unable to convert before Gottlieb ended it.
Kalamazoo finishes the busy weekend and an eight-game home stand with a 3:00 p.m. Sunday affair against the Cincinnati Cyclones on Pirates and Princesses Night, featuring a postgame skate with the players. The first 1,000 kids under the age of 12 will receive either a K-Wing eye patch or tiara.
Kalamazoo Wings prorated season tickets, flexi plans and 3-Packs are on sale now! Visit kwings.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 9, 2019
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fall 4-2 to Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sunk by Late Goal in 1-0 Loss to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Tame Beast with Nine-Goal Explosion - Toledo Walleye
- Mavs Complete Sweep of Utah with Furious Third Period Finish - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rabbits Rally to Tie, Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rays Cap Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cuddemi Scores Winner, Royals Take Another Wild One, 6-4, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Fall in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Welcomes New Four-Legged Team Member - Rapid City Rush
- Elmer's Hat Trick Lifts Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Finishes off Home Weekend with 4-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Bested by Mariners in 5-1 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Reminder: Kotak Law Military Appreciation Day Is Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Killins Assigned to Rush from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 9 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with South Carolina Advocates for Epilepsy Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Doubleheader Hockey Day in Allen - Allen Americans
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border - Atlanta Gladiators
- Harry Potter Night Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Daccord Rock Solid as Beast Shutout Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Rush Comeback in Third to Overtake Idaho in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Rookie Netminder Blanks Norfolk - Allen Americans
- Kestner Extends Point Streak as Walleye Fall at Indy - Toledo Walleye
- Solar Bears Drop 2-1 OT Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Marred by Late Penalties, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.