Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border
ST. JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND - The Atlanta Gladiators could not overcome the scoring prowess of the defending Kelly Cup champions as they fell 5-3 to the Newfoundland Growlers in Canada on Friday evening. ECHL Player of the Week Sam Asselin continued his scoring ways with the opening tally, but Atlanta ultimately dropped their fourth contest of the season.
After a defensive start to the game, it was the veteran pair F Eric Neiliey and F Derek Nesbitt that assisted the rookie Asselin with the opening goal. The Glads took the 1-0 lead with 8:39 to play in the first period. Despite the great effort in net from G Sean Bonar, the Growlers would not be held down. In the final four minutes of the opening frame, Newfoundland tallied two goals from Scott Pooley and Zach O'Brien to take a 2-1 lead into the first break.
The Gladiators wasted no time eating into that deficit in the middle period. D Joel Messner and D Cody Corbett, in his first game after returning from his time in the AHL, assisted F Luke Nogard on the second Atlanta goal of the night just :28 seconds into the second period, tying the game at two. Unfortunately, that is as close as they would get to retaking the lead. The Growlers equalled the score just :50 seconds later to reclaim their advantage, and went on to tally the next two over the following 30 minutes of play.
Atlanta got a goal back in the final minute of the game, courtesy of D Josh Thrower, but the Glads fell in their first contest in Newfoundland. The Gladiators square off with these same Growlers Saturday evening, with puck drop set for 5:30 PM ET.
The Gladiators return to Infinite Energy Arena on Saturday, November 16th for Heroes Night. The team will be honoring active duty military, law enforcement, fire & rescue, and first responders, as well as hosting a charity game at 2:30 between the club hockey teams of Fort Benning (GA) and Fort Bragg (NC). $5 of every doubleheader ticket will be donated to the Veterans Empowerment Organization. Gladiators puck drop against the Florida Everblades is set for 7:05 PM.
Images from this story
Atlanta Gladiators battle the Newfoundland Growlers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 9, 2019
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fall 4-2 to Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sunk by Late Goal in 1-0 Loss to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Tame Beast with Nine-Goal Explosion - Toledo Walleye
- Mavs Complete Sweep of Utah with Furious Third Period Finish - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rabbits Rally to Tie, Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rays Cap Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cuddemi Scores Winner, Royals Take Another Wild One, 6-4, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Fall in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Welcomes New Four-Legged Team Member - Rapid City Rush
- Elmer's Hat Trick Lifts Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Finishes off Home Weekend with 4-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Bested by Mariners in 5-1 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Reminder: Kotak Law Military Appreciation Day Is Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Killins Assigned to Rush from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 9 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with South Carolina Advocates for Epilepsy Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Doubleheader Hockey Day in Allen - Allen Americans
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border - Atlanta Gladiators
- Harry Potter Night Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Daccord Rock Solid as Beast Shutout Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Rush Comeback in Third to Overtake Idaho in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Rookie Netminder Blanks Norfolk - Allen Americans
- Kestner Extends Point Streak as Walleye Fall at Indy - Toledo Walleye
- Solar Bears Drop 2-1 OT Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Marred by Late Penalties, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.