Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3
The Newfoundland Growlers broke out the brooms Saturday night at Mile One Centre edging the Atlanta Gladiators 6-3 to sweep the weekend series.
Justin Brazeau opened the scoring 4:28 into the game after picking up a loose puck and stick-handling it past Martin Ouellette on the power play for his fifth of the season, and giving the Growlers an early 1-0 lead.
Todd Skirving extended the lead to 2-0 after rifling a snapshot perfectly under the crossbar at 4:30 of the second period for his first of the season, but Logan Nelson cut the lead to one just two minutes later in what was a very chippy second period that had the Growlers ahead 2-1 after 40 minutes of play.
Derek Nesbitt tied the game 2:06 into the third period firing a shot up and over Angus Redmond's glove, but Zach O'Brien needed only eight seconds to re-store the Growlers lead after forcing a turnover off the ensuing faceoff and squeaking a wrister five-hole for a 3-2 Growlers lead.
Justin Brazeau picked up his second of the night to extend the lead to two after banging home a rebound for a 4-2 lead, and the Growlers got goals off the sticks of Scott Pooley and Brady Ferguson in the final two minutes of play for a 6-2 lead. The Gladiators added a late one from Anthony Collins but that's as close as the Gladiators would come as the Growlers took a 6-3 decision.
Scott Pooley extended his point streak to 10 games
Justin Brazeau recorded his first career multi-goal game
The three stars were 3 - A. Redmond (NFL), 2 - T. Skirving (NFL) and 1 - J. Brazeau (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their four-game home stand Friday night in a Kelly Cup Finals rematch against the Toledo Walleye, ECHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com and the Mile One Centre Box Office.
Atlanta Gladiators (4-5-0-0) at Newfoundland Growlers (7-5-0-0)
Saturday, November 9th - Mile One Centre - St. John's, NL
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st NFL 4:28 J. Brazeau (5) C. Conrad, J. Duszak PP V 13 20 21 59 H 12 14 17 21 39
0 - 2 2 2nd NFL 4:30 T. Skirving (1) M. Bradley, S. Pooley V 20 21 27 28 48 H 3 11 12 15 27
1 - 2 3 2nd ATL 6:31 L. Nelson (1) A. Peterson V 19 20 21 27 28 H 14 17 21 24 39
2 - 2 4 3rd ATL 2:06 D. Nesbitt (2) J. Messner, E. Neiley PP V 8 13 17 51 59 H 14 27 36 43
2 - 3 5 3rd NFL 2:14 Z. O'Brien (4) V 13 27 38 48 55 H 3 9 10 11 22
2 - 4 6 3rd NFL 13:47 J. Brazeau (6) C. Conrad, T. Bradley PP V 17 28 51 74 H 12 14 17 21 39
2 - 5 7 3rd NFL 17:58 S. Pooley (10) EN V 17 18 26 51 59 74 H 12 15 21 24 27
2 - 6 8 3rd NFL 18:47 B. Ferguson (5) Z. O'Brien, M. Power V 8 13 17 20 38 H 9 10 22 36 43
3 - 6 9 3rd ATL 19:29 A. Collins (1) J. Messner V 27 28 48 51 74 H 3 11 15 17 27
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 9, 2019
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fall 4-2 to Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sunk by Late Goal in 1-0 Loss to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Tame Beast with Nine-Goal Explosion - Toledo Walleye
- Mavs Complete Sweep of Utah with Furious Third Period Finish - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rabbits Rally to Tie, Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rays Cap Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cuddemi Scores Winner, Royals Take Another Wild One, 6-4, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Fall in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Welcomes New Four-Legged Team Member - Rapid City Rush
- Elmer's Hat Trick Lifts Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Finishes off Home Weekend with 4-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Bested by Mariners in 5-1 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Reminder: Kotak Law Military Appreciation Day Is Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Killins Assigned to Rush from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 9 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with South Carolina Advocates for Epilepsy Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Doubleheader Hockey Day in Allen - Allen Americans
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border - Atlanta Gladiators
- Harry Potter Night Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Daccord Rock Solid as Beast Shutout Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Rush Comeback in Third to Overtake Idaho in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Rookie Netminder Blanks Norfolk - Allen Americans
- Kestner Extends Point Streak as Walleye Fall at Indy - Toledo Walleye
- Solar Bears Drop 2-1 OT Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Marred by Late Penalties, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.