Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3
The Newfoundland Growlers broke out the brooms Saturday night at Mile One Centre edging the Atlanta Gladiators 6-3 to sweep the weekend series.
Justin Brazeau opened the scoring 4:28 into the game after picking up a loose puck and stick-handling it past Martin Ouellette on the power play for his fifth of the season, and giving the Growlers an early 1-0 lead.
Todd Skirving extended the lead to 2-0 after rifling a snapshot perfectly under the crossbar at 4:30 of the second period for his first of the season, but Logan Nelson cut the lead to one just two minutes later in what was a very chippy second period that had the Growlers ahead 2-1 after 40 minutes of play.
Derek Nesbitt tied the game 2:06 into the third period firing a shot up and over Angus Redmond's glove, but Zach O'Brien needed only eight seconds to re-store the Growlers lead after forcing a turnover off the ensuing faceoff and squeaking a wrister five-hole for a 3-2 Growlers lead.
Justin Brazeau picked up his second of the night to extend the lead to two after banging home a rebound for a 4-2 lead, and the Growlers got goals off the sticks of Scott Pooley and Brady Ferguson in the final two minutes of play for a 6-2 lead. The Gladiators added a late one from Anthony Collins but that's as close as the Gladiators would come as the Growlers took a 6-3 decision.
Scott Pooley extended his point streak to 10 games
Justin Brazeau recorded his first career multi-goal game
The three stars were 3 - A. Redmond (NFL), 2 - T. Skirving (NFL) and 1 - J. Brazeau (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their four-game home stand Friday night in a Kelly Cup Finals rematch against the Toledo Walleye, ECHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at mileonecentre.com and the Mile One Centre Box Office.
Atlanta Gladiators (4-5-0-0) at Newfoundland Growlers (7-5-0-0)
Saturday, November 9th - Mile One Centre - St. John's, NL
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st NFL 4:28 J. Brazeau (5) C. Conrad, J. Duszak PP V 13 20 21 59 H 12 14 17 21 39
0 - 2 2 2nd NFL 4:30 T. Skirving (1) M. Bradley, S. Pooley V 20 21 27 28 48 H 3 11 12 15 27
1 - 2 3 2nd ATL 6:31 L. Nelson (1) A. Peterson V 19 20 21 27 28 H 14 17 21 24 39
2 - 2 4 3rd ATL 2:06 D. Nesbitt (2) J. Messner, E. Neiley PP V 8 13 17 51 59 H 14 27 36 43
2 - 3 5 3rd NFL 2:14 Z. O'Brien (4) V 13 27 38 48 55 H 3 9 10 11 22
2 - 4 6 3rd NFL 13:47 J. Brazeau (6) C. Conrad, T. Bradley PP V 17 28 51 74 H 12 14 17 21 39
2 - 5 7 3rd NFL 17:58 S. Pooley (10) EN V 17 18 26 51 59 74 H 12 15 21 24 27
2 - 6 8 3rd NFL 18:47 B. Ferguson (5) Z. O'Brien, M. Power V 8 13 17 20 38 H 9 10 22 36 43
3 - 6 9 3rd ATL 19:29 A. Collins (1) J. Messner V 27 28 48 51 74 H 3 11 15 17 27
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 9, 2019
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fall 4-2 to Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sunk by Late Goal in 1-0 Loss to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Tame Beast with Nine-Goal Explosion - Toledo Walleye
- Mavs Complete Sweep of Utah with Furious Third Period Finish - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rabbits Rally to Tie, Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rays Cap Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cuddemi Scores Winner, Royals Take Another Wild One, 6-4, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Fall in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Welcomes New Four-Legged Team Member - Rapid City Rush
- Elmer's Hat Trick Lifts Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Finishes off Home Weekend with 4-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Bested by Mariners in 5-1 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Reminder: Kotak Law Military Appreciation Day Is Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Killins Assigned to Rush from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 9 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with South Carolina Advocates for Epilepsy Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Doubleheader Hockey Day in Allen - Allen Americans
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border - Atlanta Gladiators
- Harry Potter Night Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Daccord Rock Solid as Beast Shutout Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Rush Comeback in Third to Overtake Idaho in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Rookie Netminder Blanks Norfolk - Allen Americans
- Kestner Extends Point Streak as Walleye Fall at Indy - Toledo Walleye
- Solar Bears Drop 2-1 OT Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Marred by Late Penalties, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Growlers Bring Academy to Labrador
- Growlers Add Bob Hunter for New Mile One Centre Proposal
- Growlers Launch Website Highlighting Plans for Mile One Centre
- MEDIA RELEASE: Growlers to Opt-Out of 2020-21 ECHL Season
- Growlers Announce Book Chronicling Championship Season