Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win
READING, PA - The Wheeling Nailers nearly earned their first road victory of the season on Saturday night, but the Reading Royals erased three separate deficits for a 6-4 comeback win at Santander Arena. Four different players found the back of the net for Wheeling, while Myles Powell dished out three assists.
The Nailers surrendered the first goal of the tilt, but rebounded to light the lamp twice and take the lead. Reading's marker came from Ralph Cuddemi, who stashed in a loose puck at the top of the crease. Wheeling tied things up on the power play, as Renars Krastenbergs sliced through the defense on the rush, before burying his shot along the ice. The Nailers utilized their speed again on their second goal, as Jan Drozg and Marc-Olivier Duquette flew into the zone on a 2-on-1 break. Drozg kept the puck to himself, swiping in a wrist shot from the right circle.
The offenses took control of the game in the second period, as the clubs combined to find the twine five times. Matthew Gaudreau of the Royals started the big run of goals with a left circle shot at the 4:30 mark. Blake Siebenaler answered 13 seconds later for Wheeling from the right point. Gaudreau struck again on a breakaway less than three minutes later, but the Nailers regained the lead on Alec Butcher's tally off a 2-on-1 break with Drozg. The final goal of the frame went to Reading, as Corey Mackin knotted things up by flipping in a backhander from the right side of the crease.
An unfortunate bounce led to Reading taking the final lead of the night at the 7:02 mark of the third period. Cuddemi smacked in a wobbling puck on the right side of the slot for his second of the evening. Brayden Low added one more tally for the 6-4 Royals win, as he flung in a wrist shot from the top of the left circle.
Trevor Gorsuch got the win in his season debut for Reading, making 20 saves on 24 shots. Jordan Ruby took the loss for the Nailers, stopping 35 of the 41 shots he faced.
The Nailers have two home games next weekend, starting with a Frosty Friday featuring $2 beer specials against the Utah Grizzlies at 7:05. Then, on Sunday, November 17th, it's Batman Night against the Fort Wayne Komets at 4:05. Fans can meet Batman, plus the Nailers will wear specialty jerseys. Following the game is a post game skate with the odd-numbered players. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 9, 2019
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fall 4-2 to Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sunk by Late Goal in 1-0 Loss to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Tame Beast with Nine-Goal Explosion - Toledo Walleye
- Mavs Complete Sweep of Utah with Furious Third Period Finish - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rabbits Rally to Tie, Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rays Cap Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cuddemi Scores Winner, Royals Take Another Wild One, 6-4, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Fall in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Welcomes New Four-Legged Team Member - Rapid City Rush
- Elmer's Hat Trick Lifts Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Finishes off Home Weekend with 4-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Bested by Mariners in 5-1 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Reminder: Kotak Law Military Appreciation Day Is Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Killins Assigned to Rush from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 9 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with South Carolina Advocates for Epilepsy Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Doubleheader Hockey Day in Allen - Allen Americans
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border - Atlanta Gladiators
- Harry Potter Night Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Daccord Rock Solid as Beast Shutout Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Rush Comeback in Third to Overtake Idaho in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Rookie Netminder Blanks Norfolk - Allen Americans
- Kestner Extends Point Streak as Walleye Fall at Indy - Toledo Walleye
- Solar Bears Drop 2-1 OT Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Marred by Late Penalties, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.