Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen
ESTERO, Fla. - Aiming to push their winning streak to four games, the Florida Everblades (7-3-0-0, 14 pts.) host the Jacksonville Icemen (1-5-2-0, 4 pts.) in their final game of a three-game week on Saturday night at Hertz Arena.
Game 11: Everblades vs. Jacksonville
When: 7 p.m. ET
Where: Hertz Arena
Watch: ECHL TV
Listen: WJBX (101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM)
Social: Twitter | Instagram
Last time out
Michael Huntebrinker netted his fifth goal of the season to tie the game at one halfway through the third period, and Blake Winiecki scored with just 48 seconds left in overtime to lift the Everblades to a 2-1 win over the Orlando Solar Bears on Friday night. Florida dominated the possession in the game and finished with a 41-22 edge in shots on goal, including a stark 20-4 edge in the third period and overtime. Ken Appleby earned his fifth win with a 21-save effort.
RECAP | BOX SCORE
Series At A Glance
Saturday is the first of 13 meetings this season between Florida and Jacksonville. Last season, Florida finished with a 9-3-1-0 record against the Icemen, including a perfect 6-0-0-0 mark at Hertz Arena. The 'Blades have a 22-3-2 record against the Icemen since Jacksonville joined the ECHL in 2017-18. Florida has been dominant on home ice against the Icemen, compiling a 13-0-1-0 mark against Jacksonville at Hertz Arena.
Players to Watch
Blake Winiecki (FLA) - Entering last Saturday, Winiecki had not scored an overtime-winning goal in his professional career. The second-year pro now has two overtime winners in the last week after scoring in overtime on Friday against Orlando. Winiecki now has six game-winners in his career. Though he hadn't scored in overtime before last Saturday, Winiecki does have four shootout-winning goals over the last two seasons and has been a key figure in big moments for the Everblades. He is currently riding a three-game point streak (2g-2a).
Maxime Fortier (JAX) - Although he only played in 24 games for Jacksonville last season, Fortier still put up big numbers. He sat just above a point-per-game average for the Icemen with 25 points (12 G, 13 A) and registered multiple points in seven contests. In the playoffs, Fortier had four goals and three assists in the South Division Semifinals series against Florida and led all Icemen players in scoring. His major junior career with the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL saw him put up 270 points (104 G, 166 A) in 263 career games.
The Everblades are undefeated at home through four games for the first time in 12 seasons. Florida is just two wins shy of tying its best home start in franchise history, which was established by the 2007-08 squad that won its first six home games. The only other time Florida has started the season at 4-0-0-0 at home was the 1999-00 season.
Half of Florida's 10 games have been decided by just one goal this season. Of the ECHL teams which have played more than one game decided by one goal, Florida is the only one still undefeated (5-0-0-0). South Carolina is the only other undefeated team in one-goal contests, but the Stingrays have only played one such game.
On the Comeback Trail
Despite facing a deficit at some point in all 10 of their games this year, the Everblades have been adept at climbing out of those holes. Florida has come from behind in all seven of its wins this season and has answered a third-period deficit to win in four games. In fact, Florida has come from behind in the third period in three straight games. Last season, the Everblades had five wins when they trailed in the third period. Two of those four wins involved multi-goal comebacks.
Florida finishes out its four-game homestand with a Wednesday night matchup against the Orlando Solar Bears. Faceoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at Hertz Arena.
Blades 365 Memberships are still on sale for the 2019-20 season! Get great seat locations, big savings and exclusive year-round experiences with a full season, 24-game or 12-game Blades 365 Membership!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 9, 2019
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fall 4-2 to Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sunk by Late Goal in 1-0 Loss to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Tame Beast with Nine-Goal Explosion - Toledo Walleye
- Mavs Complete Sweep of Utah with Furious Third Period Finish - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rabbits Rally to Tie, Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rays Cap Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cuddemi Scores Winner, Royals Take Another Wild One, 6-4, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Fall in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Welcomes New Four-Legged Team Member - Rapid City Rush
- Elmer's Hat Trick Lifts Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Finishes off Home Weekend with 4-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Bested by Mariners in 5-1 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Reminder: Kotak Law Military Appreciation Day Is Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Killins Assigned to Rush from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 9 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with South Carolina Advocates for Epilepsy Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Doubleheader Hockey Day in Allen - Allen Americans
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border - Atlanta Gladiators
- Harry Potter Night Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Daccord Rock Solid as Beast Shutout Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Rush Comeback in Third to Overtake Idaho in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Rookie Netminder Blanks Norfolk - Allen Americans
- Kestner Extends Point Streak as Walleye Fall at Indy - Toledo Walleye
- Solar Bears Drop 2-1 OT Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Marred by Late Penalties, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.