Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder
WICHITA, KS - The Oilers outshot Wichita 37-20, but couldn't overcome great goaltending, falling to the Wichita Thunder 3-1 at INTRUST Bank Arena on Friday.
Stefan Fournier scored the opening goal, batting his fourth tally of the season out of the air past Evan Fitzpatrick for a power play goal at the 3:02 mark of the frame. Despite Fournier scoring the lone goal, Mitch Gillam may have been the star of the period, stopping all 12 of Tulsa's attempts in front of the Wichita net.
The Oilers answered emphatically in the middle frame, outshooting the Thunder 13-5 in the second period, finally cracking Mitch Gillam thanks to a power play blast from Josh Wesley 12:47 into the period.
Three veterans linked up for the go-ahead goal for the Thunder. Crane tapped in a back-door pass from Jack Combs on a two-on-one, which was orchestrated by defenseman Riley Wesloski. The goal was Crane's 100th career ECHL goal. Fournier attempted to add a second goal to his nightly resume via a penalty shot, but was denied by St. Louis Blues prospect Evan Fitzpatrick. Crane successfully added a second goal, this one a power play empty netter scored all the way from the left-wing circle of his own end.
Tulsa will look to bounce back in a rematch at INTRUST Bank Arena Saturday before returning home for Friday and Saturday matchups against the Rapid City Rush. Saturday's game is Autism Awareness Night, and the team will wear specialty jerseys sponsored by Safelite.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
Images from this story
Tulsa Oilers forward Ryan Tesink handles the puck behind the Wichita Thunder net
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 9, 2019
- Everblades' Big Rally Not Enough in 4-3 Loss to IceMen - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fall 4-2 to Mavericks - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Sunk by Late Goal in 1-0 Loss to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
- Walleye Tame Beast with Nine-Goal Explosion - Toledo Walleye
- Mavs Complete Sweep of Utah with Furious Third Period Finish - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rabbits Rally to Tie, Fall in Shootout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Short-Handed Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Rays Cap Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Shootout Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cuddemi Scores Winner, Royals Take Another Wild One, 6-4, over Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Fall in Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Rush Welcomes New Four-Legged Team Member - Rapid City Rush
- Elmer's Hat Trick Lifts Mariners over Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Royals Come Back for 6-4 Home Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Indy Finishes off Home Weekend with 4-1 Win - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Bested by Mariners in 5-1 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Topple the Gladiators 6-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Reminder: Kotak Law Military Appreciation Day Is Sunday - Brampton Beast
- Killins Assigned to Rush from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Close Weekend with Military Night Matchup against IceMen - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - November 9 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Swamp Rabbits Team up with South Carolina Advocates for Epilepsy Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Doubleheader Hockey Day in Allen - Allen Americans
- Game Notes: vs Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Atlanta Thwarted by Defending Champs North of the Border - Atlanta Gladiators
- Harry Potter Night Saturday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Daccord Rock Solid as Beast Shutout Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Rush Comeback in Third to Overtake Idaho in Shootout - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Rookie Netminder Blanks Norfolk - Allen Americans
- Kestner Extends Point Streak as Walleye Fall at Indy - Toledo Walleye
- Solar Bears Drop 2-1 OT Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Fall in First of Nine Matchups with Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Marred by Late Penalties, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Rush - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.