Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout
READING, PA - The Wheeling Nailers got one point on Saturday night, but they would have loved to have taken a second one. Wheeling led 2-0 in the first period on tallies by Winston Day Chief and Yushiroh Hirano, before the Reading Royals rallied back to pick up a 3-2 shootout win at Santander Arena. Jordan Ruby made 39 saves in goal for the Nailers.
The Nailers were strong off the rush in the first period, as they jumped out to a 2-0 lead. On the first goal, Dan Fick started with a stretch pass to Cedric Lacroix on the left side of the neutral zone. Lacroix carried the puck in, then swept a pass to Winston Day Chief, who had a tap-in on the right side of the crease. Dane Birks helped start the second tally when he crunched Chris McCarthy to free up the puck. Alec Butcher scooped up the loose biscuit, then fed Yushiroh Hirano, who blasted in a one-timer from the left circle.
One goal was scored in the middle frame, as Reading pulled within one. Chris McCarthy broke in on the right side of the ice, then twirled a pass around to Josh MacDonald, who fired the puck into a wide open cage.
The Royals drew even in the third period. Adam Schmidt bounced the puck to Frank DiChiara, who was open in the slot. DiChiara potted his shot on the left side, which ultimately forced overtime with the score knotted, 2-2.
The extra session couldn't decide anything, leading to a shootout. Alex Roos and DiChiara scored on both attempts for Reading, while Kevin Spinozzi and Zac Lynch came up empty for Wheeling, as the Royals prevailed, 3-2.
Jamie Phillips got the win for Reading, making 20 saves on 22 shots. Jordan Ruby turned in an excellent performance in the shootout defeat for the Nailers, turning aside 39 of the 41 shots he faced during the game.
The Nailers will return home on Sunday for a 3:05 game against the Kalamazoo Wings. Sunday is First Responders Appreciation Night, all fans will receive a team poster, there will be a full team post game autograph session, and all tickets are $12. Also coming up on the schedule is Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday, April 6th. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.