Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls
GLENS FALLS, NY - The Mariners led for most of the game, but couldn't hold onto a 2-0 lead, and fell 4-2 to the Adirondack Thunder on Saturday night at the Cool Insuring Arena. With the loss, the Mariners fell out of a playoff spot in the North Division.
Just over the halfway mark of the first period, the Mariners used the power play to get on the board first. At 10:09, Brycen Martin's shot from the left point was redirected home by Nick Master - his first professional goal and third point in as many games since joining the Mariners last Sunday. A secondary helper went to Dwyer Tschantz. After a key penalty kill, the Mariners doubled their lead at 18:46 when Zeb Knutson cleaned up a shot from Josh Couturier, making his return from injury. Ryan Ferrill also helped out in front, receiving an assist. Francois Brassard, in his first ECHL start, turned aside all 15 shots in the opening period as the Mariners led, 2-0 through 20 minutes.
The 2-0 lead held up through the late stages of the 2nd period when Jon Edwardh finally beat Francois Brassard, roofing a turnaround shot on a rebound off a Desmond Bergin shot. James Henry also assisted as the Thunder cut the lead to one heading into the third. Brassard racked up 30 saves through two periods.
Just 1:58 into the third period, the Thunder tied it up, scoring during a delayed penalty. James Henry, who finished the game with three assists, slid one across the goal mouth to Cullen Bradshaw on the left side who put one into an empty net. With eight minutes remaining in the third, the Mariners again paid for a turnover attempting to come out of the zone and Henry fed Mike Szmatula for a shot over Brassard's shoulder. The Mariners got a power play with 1:43 remaining and pulled Brassard to get a 6-on-4 advantage, but lost the faceoff and Blake Thompson rolled a long range dump into the empty net.
Brassard made 43 saves in the tough luck loss. Arthur Brey made 20 stops for the win. Brampton embarrassed Worcester 7-0 at the DCU center to jump ahead of Maine by one point for the fourth and final playoff spot in the North. The Mariners continue to hold games in hand on every team in the division, other than Worcester.
The Mariners and Thunder finish their regular season series tomorrow afternoon in Portland at 3:00 PM. A screening of D2: The Mighty Ducks will immediately follow the game on the video board, free for all fans who purchase tickets to the game. Tickets can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com or by calling the Trusted Choice Box Office at 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.