Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs
ST. JOHN'S, NEWFOUNDLAND - The Manchester Monarchs fell on their second straight night to the Newfoundland Growlers on Saturday from the Mile One Centre, by a score of 5-2.
The Monarchs (36-29-2-2) allowed four unanswered goals in the first two periods to the Growlers (43-20-4-2) and fell, 5-2, on the evening.
Newfoundland got on the board at 11:21 of the first period on the 28th goal of the season by Scott Pooley. The puck bounced off the end wall to the right side of the net, where Pooley pounced on it and snuck a shot past the glove of Monarchs goaltender Charles Williams, giving the Growlers a 1-0 lead.
The Growlers extended their lead at 12:45 of the first period on the second goal of the game and 29th of the season for Pooley. Matt Bradley stole the puck off the stick of Monarchs defenseman Brendan Miller, behind the net and centered a pass to Pooley, who one-timed a shot past Williams, making the score, 2-0.
The Growlers extended their lead at 1:23 of the second period on the 29th goal of the season by Brady Ferguson. Zach O'Brien dropped a pass to the high-slot for Ferguson, who wristed a shot over the blocker of Williams, to make the score, 3-0.
The Growlers added another at 4:20 of the second period, chasing Williams from the game, when Marcus Power scored his 23rd goal of the season on the power play. Ferguson found Power sitting along the right post with a pass, that he tapped past Williams, to make the score, 4-0.
Manchester made it a three-goal game at :48 of the third period, on the power play, on the eighth goal of the season by Jack Nevins. Matheson Iacopelli backhanded a pass towards the slot, that Nevins roofed, over the blocker of Growlers goaltender Michael Garteig, to make the score, 4-1.
The Growlers responded at 3:14 of the third period on Josh Kestner's 22nd goal of the season. Kestner broke into the offensive zone and snapped a shot past Monarchs goaltender Cole Kehler, making the score, 5-1.
The Monarchs got one back at 7:49 of the third period on the power play, when Sam Kurker netted his 16th of the season. Kurker received a pass from David Kolomatis at the top of the circles, where he fired a wrist shot past the pad of Garteig, making the score, 5-2.
The Monarchs return to action Wednesday, April 3 at 7:05 p.m., when they take on the Worcester Railers at the DCU Center. To sign up for Pay As We Play playoff tickets or group tickets, please contact the Monarchs front office at 603-626-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.