Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Kansas City Mavericks defeated the Fort Wayne Komets, 5-2 Saturday night at Allen County War Memorial Coliseum and clinched a playoff berth in the 2019 ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs. The win also snapped a seven-game losing streak by Kansas City. The victory was Mavericks Head Coach John-Scott Dickson's 100th career victory. Mavericks forward Corey Durocher finished the night with a goal and two assists and Greg Betzold tallied a goal and an assist in the win.
The Mavericks and Komets played a scoreless first period, with the Komets outshooting the Mavericks, 11-9.
Greg Betzold broke the scoreless tie after Fort Wayne goaltender Alex Dubeau turned the puck over in his own zone. Betzold tucked the puck behind Dubeau, scoring his 25th goal of the season. The goal was unassisted. Rocco Carzo doubled the Mavs lead with 5:20 left in the second period on the power play, collecting a rebound in front of the net and finding the net with the second effort. Darian and David Dziurzynski assisted on the goal. Fort Wayne drew closer on a goal from Jake Kamrass assisted by Josh Elmes and Kyle Hope with 2:38 to go in the period. The Mavericks pushed the lead back to two with 29 seconds left in the period on a goal from Jared VanWormer. It was the Mavericks' second power play goal of the evening. Durocher and Betzold picked up their second points of the game with assists on the goal.
The Mavericks carried a 3-1 lead into the third period, but Fort Wayne drew closer on a goal from Anthony Nellis with 1:46 to go in regulation. The goal was assisted by Shawn Szydlowski and Sean Flanagan. The Mavericks sealed the victory with two empty net goals from David Dziurzynski in the final two minutes of the game, claiming the 5-2 victory.
The victory was Mavericks Head Coach John-Scott Dickson's 100th career head coaching victory. Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald finished the night with 33 saves on 35 shots. This is the first time since the 2015-16 campaign that the Mavericks have qualified for the postseason.
The Mavericks finally wrap up their eight-game road trip with a Sunday afternoon matinee against the Indy Fuel. Faceoff for the game will be 2:05 p.m. Central Time. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Former Maverick Carter Verhaeghe Becomes Third Consecutive Maverick to Appear on Stanley Cup Roster
- Mavericks Sign Forward Brendan Robbins to Professional Tryout Contract
- Mavericks Trade Vanderlaan to Reading for Futures
- Mavericks Re-Sign Former Kings Draft Pick Matt Schmalz
- Mavericks Sign Rookie Goalie Justin Kapelmaster