Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2
The Newfoundland Growlers wrapped up their home portion of their 2018-19 Inaugural Season in style Saturday night at Mile One Centre defeating the Manchester Monarchs 5-2 to sweep the weekend series.
Scott Pooley opened the scoring with 8:39 to play in the opening frame, capitalizing on a bounce off the boards and roofing the puck over Charles Williams giving the Growlers a 1-0 lead. Pooley followed that up just over two minutes later, netting his 29th of the season to double the lead to 2-0. Michael Garteig was solid between the pipes turning aside all 16 shots faced in the first period.
Brady Ferguson extended the lead to 3-0 only 1:23 into the second period, bringing his point streak to seven games.
Marcus Power continued the offensive rout at 4:20 of the second period, re-directing a Brady Ferguson shot in the back of the net for a 4-0 lead, and subsequently ending Williams' night as he was replaced by Cole Kehler after allowing four goals on 12 shots.
The Monarchs showed no quit, as Jack Nevins banged a rebound past Michael Garteig to break his shutout bid and cut the Growlers lead to 4-1 48 seconds into the third period, but Josh Kestner re-stored the four-goal lead at 3:14 on a shot that Kehler got a piece of but the puck trickled behind him for a 5-1 Newfoundland lead.
Sam Kurker continued the back-and-forth third period at 7:49, capitalizing on the powerplay for the second time of the period cutting the lead to 5-2, but that's as close as Manchester would come as the Growlers held on for a 5-2 final.
Michael Garteig made 42 saves in the win.
Michael Garteig improved to 6-0 against Manchester this season
Gabriel Gagne has four assists in two games since being assigned to the Growlers by the Toronto Marlies
The three stars were 3 - B. Ferguson (NFL), 2 - S. Pooley (NFL) and 1 - M. Garteig (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers wrap up their Inaugural Season with a three-game road trip beginning Friday night in Manchester, New Hampshire with a matchup against the Monarchs. Puck drop is 8:30 p.m. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.