Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2
The Newfoundland Growlers wrapped up their home portion of their 2018-19 Inaugural Season in style Saturday night at Mile One Centre defeating the Manchester Monarchs 5-2 to sweep the weekend series.
Scott Pooley opened the scoring with 8:39 to play in the opening frame, capitalizing on a bounce off the boards and roofing the puck over Charles Williams giving the Growlers a 1-0 lead. Pooley followed that up just over two minutes later, netting his 29th of the season to double the lead to 2-0. Michael Garteig was solid between the pipes turning aside all 16 shots faced in the first period.
Brady Ferguson extended the lead to 3-0 only 1:23 into the second period, bringing his point streak to seven games.
Marcus Power continued the offensive rout at 4:20 of the second period, re-directing a Brady Ferguson shot in the back of the net for a 4-0 lead, and subsequently ending Williams' night as he was replaced by Cole Kehler after allowing four goals on 12 shots.
The Monarchs showed no quit, as Jack Nevins banged a rebound past Michael Garteig to break his shutout bid and cut the Growlers lead to 4-1 48 seconds into the third period, but Josh Kestner re-stored the four-goal lead at 3:14 on a shot that Kehler got a piece of but the puck trickled behind him for a 5-1 Newfoundland lead.
Sam Kurker continued the back-and-forth third period at 7:49, capitalizing on the powerplay for the second time of the period cutting the lead to 5-2, but that's as close as Manchester would come as the Growlers held on for a 5-2 final.
Michael Garteig made 42 saves in the win.
Michael Garteig improved to 6-0 against Manchester this season
Gabriel Gagne has four assists in two games since being assigned to the Growlers by the Toronto Marlies
The three stars were 3 - B. Ferguson (NFL), 2 - S. Pooley (NFL) and 1 - M. Garteig (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers wrap up their Inaugural Season with a three-game road trip beginning Friday night in Manchester, New Hampshire with a matchup against the Monarchs. Puck drop is 8:30 p.m. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2019
- Paterson Records Shutout as Beast Crush Railers - Brampton Beast
- Cannata Stops 46 in Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
- Anchors Away: Early Offense Helps 'Blades to Sweep of Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Fall in Series Finale to Rush, 3-1 - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Rally to Clinch Playoffs with 3-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Earn Signature Shootout Win of Season vs. Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- 13,517 See Oilers Top Grizzlies in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Quick-Strike Cyclones Rally for Victory in Indianapolis - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Take Down Fuel in Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Playoff Hopes Dashed in Loss at Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win at Fort Wayne - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Come up Short to Solar Bears, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Four Goal First Period Sends Florida Past Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Kulbakov Stone Walls Walleye as K-Wings Win 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Three-Goal Third Sinks Mariners in 4-2 Thunder Victory - Adirondack Thunder
- Railers Play Like NY Jets in 7-0 Loss to Beast - Worcester Railers HC
- Win Streak Halted in 4-3 Loss in Jacksonville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Edge Nailers, 3-2 in a Shootout - Wheeling Nailers
- Master's First Pro Goal Not Enough in Glens Falls - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Set Sellout Record - Toledo Walleye
- Growlers Win Final Home Game of the Season 5-2 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Growlers Sweep Weekend with 5-2 Victory over Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Forward Ryan Walker Signs with the Thunder - Adirondack Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kevin Davis Returns to Grizzlies as Road Trip Continues - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 30 - Wheeling Nailers
- Preview: Sweep on the Line as 'Blades Host Admirals on Saturday - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- F Huntebrinker Recalled to Lehigh Valley Ahead of Reading's Saturday Soiree with Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Jeff Lerg Returns to the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Americans Host Wichita Tonight in Home Finale - Allen Americans
- Game Day: Important Weekend Continues in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Autism Awareness Night Tonight vs. Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Utah Defeats Allen 5-3 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Growlers Sign Seven Players to ECHL Contracts
- Growlers Name New Assistant Coach, Equipment Manager, Bring Back Athletic Therapist
- Growlers Issue Statement on SJSEL Lease Agreement
- Eric Wellwood Named Head Coach of the Growlers
- Growlers Nominated for ECHL Community Service Team of the Year